OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At the moment our Calcium reactors run with a pH at 6,4. So perhaps you can lower your pH a bit?
You must be a coral whisperer! I mine is now running at 6.41 and looks like it's close to being stable. o_O

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You must be a coral whisperer! I mine is now running at 6.41 and looks like it's close to being stable. o_O
That's why I don't need things like KH Directors. Or it just might be 20 years of trial and error. Or luck :D
(Okey, we also run a KH Director. But I still not trust it 100%...)

Great to hear things are going well!! Just keep an eye on the media. If you run the pH too low the media can get soft and clog the reactor.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why I don't need things like KH Directors. Or it just might be 20 years of trial and error. Or luck :D
(Okey, we also run a KH Director. But I still not trust it 100%...)

Great to hear things are going well!! Just keep an eye on the media. If you run the pH too low the media can get soft and clog the reactor.
I like my toys, thank you very much. I think Lasse would agree!

On a separate note... I was shocked to see that my alk dropped fairly substantially overnight....

Anyone have an idea on the safest minimum pH you can run a CaRx at? Apparently, a pH of 6.4 isn't low enough to keep up with demand.

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my toys, thank you very much. I think Lasse would agree!

On a separate note... I was shocked to see that my alk dropped fairly substantially overnight....

Anyone have an idea on the safest minimum pH you can run a CaRx at? Apparently, a pH of 6.4 isn't low enough to keep up with demand.
You don't have the possibility to increase the flow through the CaRx instead of lowering the pH more?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have the possibility to increase the flow through the CaRx instead of lowering the pH more?
Not with the supplied pump. It does 50ml per minute tops, which is where I have it set. I guess I can see if it got clogged a little when I get home.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, if your ph is locked in, you’ll want to increase flow through the reactor :)

what pump does your system run?
It's a small 12V DC pump. Not sure the brand, I'll have to pull it out and look at it tonight.

UWC

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need something more heavy duty for your demand :)

Something like this.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may need something more heavy duty for your demand :)

Something like this.

They are proud of those things!

It looks like I could more than double my flow if I go this route.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but brew One of the selling points of avast marine is that you can produce all the alk you need with the supplied pump
This calcium reactor is not like a geo so I do not believe one of those pumps will do u any good
I would reach out to avast and see what they recommend I remember reading that this small calcium reactor could easily do 1000 gallon sps tank as is so something isn’t adding up

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes but brew One of the selling points of avast marine is that you can produce all the alk you need with the supplied pump
This calcium reactor is not like a geo so I do not believe one of those pumps will do u any good
I would reach out to avast and see what they recommend I remember reading that this small calcium reactor could easily do 1000 gallon sps tank as is so something isn’t adding up
I have a feeling that the pump may be clogging.. I have it in what should be a clean area, but you never know. It's not a peristaltic pump so it will be susceptible to clogging. If I switch to the Kamoer clogging wont be an issue and should give me a more consistent output.

justingraham

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a feeling that the pump may be clogging.. I have it in what should be a clean area, but you never know. It's not a peristaltic pump so it will be susceptible to clogging. If I switch to the Kamoer clogging wont be an issue and should give me a more consistent output.
I agree with u (go with the ecotech pump instead of Kamoer) But u should still ask avast because they said this setup would work as is and if this is the case it doesn’t work as is

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with u (go with the ecotech pump instead of Kamoer) But u should still ask avast because they said this setup would work as is and if this is the case it doesn’t work as is
I'm definitely going to reach out to them, I want to verify the pump output first. Won't get a chance to do that until tonight.

Maxx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using either a Masterflex, (you can find used ones on ebay) or the Kamoer "should" help out with your CA Rx output.
I would suggest setting the dosing pump, (Masterflex/Kamoer/Eco-Tech) to pull water through the reactor rather than push it into the reactor. It's less pressure on the reactor and the pump.

Obviously, that depends on what Avast says about their reactor when you ask.

ETA - setting your CA Rx's pH to a specific number, (IE Rx pH of 6.4 and CO2 solenoid closes) and using the peristaltic pump (Masterflex/Kamoer/Eco-Tech) to run at a specific rate will make the Rx easier to use. Want more Alk, increase the flow of effluent from the Rx. Want less Alk, slow the flow of effluent from the Rx. To accomplish this, you'll most likely need to crank the CO2 solenoid to pretty wide open. Your Rx and system will dictate the specifics of doing that. And again, that depends entirely on what Avast says about their reactor. I've never used their reactor or even seen it until you posted it up. I've got experience with GEO 612 and Korallin C1502 reactors from when I was in the hobby previously, and that's how I did it.

Last edited:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 33 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 26 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 119 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.4%
Back