OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another reason i like your thread so much. You give the truth. I saved your vermit snails possible solution in my google doc. I guess i will mark that as a fail? or will you try it again once you get things under control/stable again? Due to the lack of stability when you first tried it i mean.

Thanks for sharing your tanks ups and downs. I'm sure it will be up again soon.
I'm glad you find my thread helpful.

I can safely say that dosing CaCO3 for vermitids daily for a month will not eliminate them, so from that aspect it was a failure. I have some other ideas on how to make it more effective such as stirring up the stump to stimulate them to feed just prior to dosing that may help. If I can get my tank locked back in from a nutrient perspective in the next few days I may try to start it prior to the holidays kicking off.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it not be possible to starve those vermitid snails in a certain span of time?
As they need to catch food which is around the the water column, would it not be an option to take that away by feeding less, wet skimming, use of filter socks,... or something like that?

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would it not be possible to starve those vermitid snails in a certain span of time?
As they need to catch food which is around the the water column, would it not be an option to take that away by feeding less, wet skimming, use of filter socks,... or something like that?
Well, that was the goal. I typically do skim a little wet and run filter socks. I was rinsing the food I was adding to the tank during the test and stopped all coral/broadcast feeding. I was hoping the CaCO3 would help pull more out of the water and starve them. My copepod and amphipod populations both dropped with my water so clean but it still wasn't enough. Admittedly I do run my sump very dirty so that may have contributed to it not working.

Janci

Staghorns will prevail
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, that was the goal. I typically do skim a little wet and run filter socks. I was rinsing the food I was adding to the tank during the test and stopped all coral/broadcast feeding. I was hoping the CaCO3 would help pull more out of the water and starve them. My copepod and amphipod populations both dropped with my water so clean but it still wasn't enough. Admittedly I do run my sump very dirty so that may have contributed to it not working.

Even when running extremely clean, it would take a couple of months to see their numbers reducing, I guess.
Still a bummer an the last events.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even when running extremely clean, it would take a couple of months to see their numbers reducing, I guess.
Still a bummer an the last events.
I started the trial because a a comment made on R2R. A member said that his local club ordered CaCO3 and shared it. After using it for a month, they all realized their vermitids were dead. So, figured it would be worth a shot to see if using it for a month with almost no other changes would work. Seems that something different must have been happening.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started the trial because a a comment made on R2R. A member said that his local club ordered CaCO3 and shared it. After using it for a month, they all realized their vermitids were dead. So, figured it would be worth a shot to see if using it for a month with almost no other changes would work. Seems that something different must have been happening.
Brew,
We're sorry for your losses, but at least your honest and we can learn from your experiences.

Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Brew,
We're sorry for your losses, but at least your honest and we can learn from your experiences.

Thanks for sharing.
Thank you. And I also appreciate everyone who has reached out to me privately. It is wonderful to know the community here at R2R is so supportive.

I know I've discussed my problems at length and in trying to provide details, along with just being busy, I have given people an impression that things are worse than they are. I apologize for this. The tank needs a good cleaning, but I did take care of the glass and was home early enough to take a few pics before the lights go blue.
DSC_0011.jpg

DSC_0013.jpg

U

User1

View Badges
Is that a Six Line there darting across the bottom of the last image? I love those fish. Always foraging, hunting, hovering over rocks ever so slightly looking for the next meal or piece of tail to take a bite out of ;D I've never seen such a small fish pack such a huge attitude.

Going back and catching up on the thread after some time out. For whatever reason I start with last and work my way back - I'm a goof ball.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Blastos are on my list too. Once things start growing I want to use them to close any gaps down low.

I always thought Convicts were beautiful, but somewhat plain as adults. When I see them amidst your more colorful fish, I get it. It is where their beauty really stands out.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that a Six Line there darting across the bottom of the last image? I love those fish. Always foraging, hunting, hovering over rocks ever so slightly looking for the next meal or piece of tail to take a bite out of ;D I've never seen such a small fish pack such a huge attitude.
It is a 6-line. Wish I hadn't put him in there. I've tried to catch him a few times with no luck. He hasn't caused any problems yet but I guess it is only a matter of time.

I'm loving your monti. I hope mine grows into something that nice.
Thanks! One of my favorite pieces. I have a green one that is growing in nicely also. I do have 2 different purple ones, a red one, and a different green one that are all growing in as plating monti's instead of cup shaped. Ah well.

I always thought Convicts were beautiful, but somewhat plain as adults. When I see them amidst your more colorful fish, I get it. It is where their beauty really stands out.
I love my Convict. It has the best personality of any of my fish.

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It seems you and I have almost the same problems at times lol, so busy we can’t watch our tanks. Congrats on sending your son off, he will do amazing. In terms of the loss I’m sorry (losses ) specially the clam. I have noticed that a few of my sps were starting to lose tissue and found my salinity at like 1.021 which is odd and had to raise it.

I love mixed reefs the most and have one, but they seem to be so much harder at times. In terms of alk I have always kept it around 8, and calcium around 440. Your tank still looks amazing.

OP
OP
Brew12

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

It seems you and I have almost the same problems at times lol, so busy we can’t watch our tanks. Congrats on sending your son off, he will do amazing. In terms of the loss I’m sorry (losses ) specially the clam. I have noticed that a few of my sps were starting to lose tissue and found my salinity at like 1.021 which is odd and had to raise it.

I love mixed reefs the most and have one, but they seem to be so much harder at times. In terms of alk I have always kept it around 8, and calcium around 440. Your tank still looks amazing.
Thanks for stopping by Sarah!
I've been following along on your thread, too. Picking up extra shifts like you have been makes it hard to maintain a tank. I've almost completely automated mine now so it should help prevent future issues when I get this busy. If I had gotten the automatic alkalinity detector a month earlier I would have avoided most of my problems. Well, except for the clam. That was just my Hippo Tang being mean.

Live and learn.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 13 14.4%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 34 37.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back