Brightwell Neomarine salt

RSREEFING

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this question sounds dumb but I got a new bucket of Brightwell neomarine salt. I'm going to make my first batch of salt and was wondering, do I mix the salt and then heat it up to match My tanks temperature or do I heat it up and then start mixing?

Thank you for your help.

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the correct way to do it is the latter (heat the water, then mix the salt), but as long as the salinity ends up being the same (or very close) I don't think it really matters much in the end.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry if this question sounds dumb but I got a new bucket of Brightwell neomarine salt. I'm going to make my first batch of salt and was wondering, do I mix the salt and then heat it up to match My tanks temperature or do I heat it up and then start mixing?

Thank you for your help.
I mix the salt with room temperature water.

PigFarmer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After mixing dirty salt of any brand push it thru a ro sediment filter... gunk is now gone... sediment filters are cheap

jassermd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mix at room temperature RO water. Brightwell is all I use... it's very exothermic when it mixes and will usually increase the temp of 65g about 2-3 degrees easy.
I heat after mixing and keep it at temp until ready to use.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
One thing about Brightwell cant remember if mentioned - make sure you mix it long enough. Brightwell - when mixed is not 'dirty'. it is crystal clear. The directions say to mix it vigorously overnight (which is what I do) - I think you will like the results with this salt

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
PS - the key point (which you probably already know) - is to add the salt to the water - not the reverse. (I used to always measure the salt put it in a bucket and then add the water. This is incorrect)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Mix under a water flow pump at least 12 hours at if possible tank temperature. I add healer and flow pump to my mixing tank and utilize small return pump to send the water to the tank, That is . . . . when I make new water which those who know me will say " He did a water change " ?? lol

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Mix under a water flow pump at least 12 hours at if possible tank temperature. I add healer and flow pump to my mixing tank and utilize small return pump to send the water to the tank, That is . . . . when I make new water which those who know me will say " He did a water change " ?? lol
Yes - exactly - my pump - that I put in to mix the water - heats it almost to the exact temperature for the tank - so its a 2 for 1.

lisajulia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought i'd respond here instead of starting a new thread...what is the PH you're getting after using Brightwell? I am using BRS RO/DI 5 stage and when i mix, my ph is nowhere near 8.3 and it takes far more salt than the bag says to get to 1.025. I spent extra on this salt and i'm not thrilled. Water is still hazy after 48hrs with pump and heater.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I thought i'd respond here instead of starting a new thread...what is the PH you're getting after using Brightwell? I am using BRS RO/DI 5 stage and when i mix, my ph is nowhere near 8.3 and it takes far more salt than the bag says to get to 1.025. I spent extra on this salt and i'm not thrilled. Water is still hazy after 48hrs with pump and heater.
I get about 7.5. EDIT - 8.2. the Alkalinity is about 7.5-8 I use the recommended amount - and get 1.025. EDIT - and the water is crystal clear. Call bright well

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Water is so cloudy. Will call them tomorrow. So bummed
how long did you mix the salt for? Did you happen to shake the bucket or whatever to be sure that the salt itself was well mixed? You need to mix bright well overnight before adding to a tank

lisajulia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long did you mix the salt for? Did you happen to shake the bucket or whatever to be sure that the salt itself was well mixed? You need to mix bright well overnight before adding to a tank
It is on day 3. I have a bag since it was my first time with this brand. Never in 18 yrs had salt do this. Weird.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It is on day 3. I have a bag since it was my first time with this brand. Never in 18 yrs had salt do this. Weird.
curious. was the water you added cloudy? or did it 'get cloudy'?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I added the salt to water from my five stage RO/DI so it was crystal clear.

I would just stop stirring it and let it settle out. Precipitate in salt mixes is not uncommon or any big problem unless alk is too low in the settled water.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I added the salt to water from my five stage RO/DI so it was crystal clear.
Sorry - When you first mix Brightwell neomarine - there is a slight cloudiness - it needs to be mixed for at least 12 hours - by then it SHOULD be crystal clear - after years of use I have never seen a precipitate. My question was did the mixed up water clear - then once you put it in the tank it got cloudy - or was it cloudy after you mixed it - and then stayed cloudy in the tank

lisajulia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry - When you first mix Brightwell neomarine - there is a slight cloudiness - it needs to be mixed for at least 12 hours - by then it SHOULD be crystal clear - after years of use I have never seen a precipitate. My question was did the mixed up water clear - then once you put it in the tank it got cloudy - or was it cloudy after you mixed it - and then stayed cloudy in the tank
it was mixed in the 30gl QT tank with tunze power head...water went in first. It's finally mostly clear but i think i'm a little shocked at how long it took to settle down. Might go back to Reef Crystals after i used up the rest of the bag.
Is it possible you got to hot and it Precipitated calcium
well another weird thing is i didn't have gloves on and when my hand came in contact with the water and salt together as i was putting it in, it scalded me like a chemical burn...again never experienced that before. Water is mostly clear today. Just a weird all around experience with this stuff.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 60 39.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 35 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 3.9%
Back