Brightwell Neomarine salt

lisajulia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get about 7.5. EDIT - 8.2. the Alkalinity is about 7.5-8 I use the recommended amount - and get 1.025. EDIT - and the water is crystal clear. Call bright well
Hmmm...my ph is still low but water is clearing up. Will measure again when it's fully clear.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well another weird thing is i didn't have gloves on and when my hand came in contact with the water and salt together as i was putting it in, it scalded me like a chemical burn...again never experienced that before. Water is mostly clear today. Just a weird all around experience with this stuff.
Thats is strange, I've never used the salt before, but it is different than most salts, other than T.M salts(I believe they are both anhydrous) (dont quote me on that). And it could be a sensitive skin thing, im not sure but if it does irritate your skin you may need to test it fully mixed against your skin again and see if that is the case, then decide if that something you want in your system your going to be putting your hands in, im sure the fish and corals don't mind but some things irritate some people differently. Good luck! (I use red sea blue bucket now and i.o for years) you can't go wrong with any salt more important to stick with it and your core parameters.

Im curious to see if there is anyone else with these findings.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm...my ph is still low but water is clearing up. Will measure again when it's fully clear.

pH is not an attribute of the mix (once dissolved and aerated) but directly relates to the CO2 in the air used to aerate it, and the alkalinity of the water.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well another weird thing is i didn't have gloves on and when my hand came in contact with the water and salt together as i was putting it in, it scalded me like a chemical burn...again never experienced that before. Water is mostly clear today. Just a weird all around experience with this stuff.

Anhydrous salt mixes do generate some heat, but not enough to burn when mixed to 35 ppt. There should be no chemical burning possible, unless you have skin abrasions that any salt water will irritate.

Be careful it is not electric leakage from a powerhead.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
it was mixed in the 30gl QT tank with tunze power head...water went in first. It's finally mostly clear but i think i'm a little shocked at how long it took to settle down. Might go back to Reef Crystals after i used up the rest of the bag.

Brightwell neomarine - and many salts - are exothermic - and they specifically mention it on their instructions - i.e. the heat. My guess is that you had a bag of poorly mixed salt - I would check your params (in the new salt water). before using it

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Anhydrous salt mixes do generate some heat, but not enough to burn when mixed to 35 ppt. There should be no chemical burning possible, unless you have skin abrasions that any salt water will irritate.

Be careful it is not electric leakage from a powerhead.
If you put your hand (wet) - into a brightwell Marine bucket you will come out with a 'hot hand' that you will want to rinse. The water itself may rise a couple degrees - but with this salt you dont want you put a wet hand into the bucket

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 24.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back