Bristle worm help!!

Jordan92595

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are bristle worms good for your tank ?
My father in law is trying to get rid of them in his tank.. started off with a couple from live rock from petco now its gotten out of control ..

First attempt he took out the rock into some r.o water and let them climb out of the rock. Apparently still some left in it so they re populated again.

im wondering a method he could use other than removing all the rock for a week to dry out and make sure they are dead. So that this was he doesnt recycle with his live rock.
Thanks in advance for the help

JonoB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is "out of control"? For the most part, people agree the are mostly beneficial to your tank. They help clean things up and eat extra food/detritus. They are kind of ugly but they won't do anything bad. If you really hate them, get a wrasse or something that eats them.

they are pretty difficult to avoid though. They'll come in on frag plugs and all sorts of stuff.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are a helpful member of your cuc in my opinion. IME assuming they're just your common bristleworm they won't hurt anything. If they are already in the tank I suspect short of pulling all of the rock and sand (if not barebottom) he will not be able to kill them all.

There are many people who hate them and will do anything to keep them put of their tank though.

Mav88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms also multiply to match how much food is available, if 1 is left in the tank it will start multiplying quickly. I dont mind my bristleworms I remove the ones that get larger but they are good CUC. They are nearly impossible to fully eradicate and they can hide anywhere.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 39 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 23.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 19.2%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back