Bristles in fish, how to remove some huge bristle worms?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have an order in for the Pink Streaked Wrasse (Cryptic Wrasse) at an LFS, just hoping they come in soon. I opted not to do the Six Line until I get the bigger tank going in a few months (also aggression horror story's lol)

Will the crabs go after the BIG worms?
pink streaked are hard, so be careful. They are super shy and need very docile tanks.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
pink streaked are hard, so be careful. They are super shy and need very docile tanks.
It’s not so much the tank as when they’re established they hold their own. They do need a docile introduction though, also make sure its eating before taking it home.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
once the pistol gets bigger, it can prob help fight the worms.
I was looking into getting a second or larger one. I've seen a number of cases where there's two pistols to one goby, but I've also seen some where they fight to the death lol

PR_nano

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peppermint shrimp can also go after bristle worm depending on size. But could also go after corals.

You should definitely do a build thread. I have the same tank and some of the same livestock would follow your progress.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I understand that this is anthropomorphizing, but Im vengeful and if those guys hurt my fish then they are gonna be thrown into a brackish tap water.
Anthropomorphising an animal and then using that as an excuse to kill it in a painful way ain't a great look. They didn't choose to be there, and they didn't intentionally hurt the fish.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually looks like he got the bristles dislodged, there's a small white mark where they were (I'll watch for infection) but think he'll be alright.

Going to make a very long PVC trap with openings only at the ends and see if I cant catch some of these bigger ones.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have an order in for the Pink Streaked Wrasse (Cryptic Wrasse) at an LFS, just hoping they come in soon. I opted not to do the Six Line until I get the bigger tank going in a few months (also aggression horror story's lol)

Will the crabs go after the BIG worms?
I have kept and still keep cryptic wrasses and wouldn’t get them for ridding your tank of bristle worms as I have yet to ever see them eat one . They hide and sleep at night plus it would have to be a very small small small bristle worm if they did and if their in the sand or under rocks they won’t go after them . They are great to have but I wouldn’t count on them for this solution . If you do get one I highly recommend that you put a lid or netting over the tank for a couple months as in a new environment they will just if spooked . The one I have now I’ve had for over two years and he doesn’t jump but when I first got him he jumped the first night . Fortunately I saw him and put him back in the tank . After about two months I removed the netting and no worries .

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a syringe to shoot peroxide into and on rocks to take out gha, the worms come right out and look like goo.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have kept and still keep cryptic wrasses and wouldn’t get them for ridding your tank of bristle worms as I have yet to ever see them eat one . They hide and sleep at night plus it would have to be a very small small small bristle worm if they did and if their in the sand or under rocks they won’t go after them . They are great to have but I wouldn’t count on them for this solution . If you do get one I highly recommend that you put a lid or netting over the tank for a couple months as in a new environment they will just if spooked . The one I have now I’ve had for over two years and he doesn’t jump but when I first got him he jumped the first night . Fortunately I saw him and put him back in the tank . After about two months I removed the netting and no worries .
The Wrasse is more for the flatworms I keep seeing lol They're the little brown ones but I believe the Cryptic would eat those.

Bristle Worms are another issue, just happened to have one of those on order when it was mentioned was all :)

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a syringe to shoot peroxide into and on rocks to take out gha, the worms come right out and look like goo.
I will definitely consider this option. Obviously small amounts, but might try hitting them with some. Thx!

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Got a video of one of the big ones. I actually was able to remove him and the one under the overhang last night. Had to work late for a maintenance and caught them both fully out of the rocks. Grabbed my tongs quickly lol Still plenty in there, but these ones were occupying caves my YWG liked to use. Since their removal I have seen him and his pistol under the overhang for the first time in weeks. Definitely were impacting the goby and shrimp's ability to move in their tunnels. Glad to be rid of a few of the big ones.

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the video blurry, or is that my Internet connection acting up? If it's blurry, got any clear photos? That looks like the same coloration as the common bristleworms in the hobby, but it's awful big for one.

I'm sure the goby and shrimp are happy to have them gone. Pistols will kill tiny bristleworms, and my old YWG had a go at eating small ones a couple of times (they'd curl up in his mouth and he'd eventually spit them out), but something that big has gotta be pretty concerning for such a little critter.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the video blurry, or is that my Internet connection acting up? If it's blurry, got any clear photos? That looks like the same coloration as the common bristleworms in the hobby, but it's awful big for one.

I'm sure the goby and shrimp are happy to have them gone. Pistols will kill tiny bristleworms, and my old YWG had a go at eating small ones a couple of times (they'd curl up in his mouth and he'd eventually spit them out), but something that big has gotta be pretty concerning for such a little critter.
haha internet acting up, it's in 4k @ 60 fps :) Yea it's a normal bristleworm but extended like that HAD to be 20" after going through the rocks. Never had them that big but I've been feeding really heavy to try and keep my NO3 and PO4 up more, but it's just not cutting it. I'm going to have to start dosing some PO4/NO3. All I'm doing is creating a bunch of algae and risking a cyano outbreak. I tried without skimmer, fuge off, I was feeding Reef Chili twice a day and flakes four times a day along with a 1/2 mysis cube every other day. Like this is just a 20g that should have my NO3 and PO4 spiking after a week+ of that with the Fuge off and skimmer barely pulling anything, just making bubbles. Nope, barely registering PO4 and NO3 is dipping <5 consistently. Got Sechem Flourish Phosphorus I've been using to bring PO4 up as needed and the Brightwell Neo Nitrate for NO3. They both seem to work well, just looks like I'm going to have to do a combination of moderately heavy feeding and light dosing to keep them from bottoming out. Time to get a couple more dosing pumps lol

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching that video and seeing how the tail doesn’t taper… that no longer looks like a bristleworm however I can’t see the face to confirm it’s what I believe. It looks to me like a Eunicid species, they can go years undiscovered even if fish don’t go missing.
In many cases, getting rid of them is a nightmare and it does end up being people have to get rid of the rock. I cant tell if the bristles are being used as feet though. Eunice worms use their legs to walk and can go at quite some speed. I’ve combatted about 5 in the whole 10+ years I’ve been in this hobby.
Bristleworms will have their tail taper however Eunicid species do not have a tapered tail, you will often know of the Eunice species as Bobbitworms however it’s usually only 1 species commonly seen, Eunice aphroditois. The other species can often come in though.

This is just from my eye without glasses on (Screw eyesight). Hopefully if you can get a photo of the face we can rule out bobbitworm.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back