Bristleworm infestation

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on how to get rid of all these bristleworms? At first it seemed okay as they were eating detritus and leftover food, but now they're so many I can't even get my yellow clown goby eggs to make it past their second day.

I've tried traps and they don't work. The worms are smart enough to not go all the way in so they are able to come right out after grabbing the bait.

There has to be a better, less intrusive way to get rid of them.

I have a red mithrax crab that's been catching some, and a blue striped dottyback that doesn't seem to know he's supposed to eat them (apparently tank bred).

Help help help.

ScubaFish802

Just keep swimming
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the maze style 3D printed traps as well? maybe stops them from being able to reach in and take it?

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried the maze style 3D printed traps as well? maybe stops them from being able to reach in and take it?
I have not. I got the one on the attached picture. Total garbage. I think I saw the 3D printed ones, unless I didn't get the right results, they didn't look like a maze.
I don't want to dip the rocks in chemicals or hot water because some have corals already attached to them and expanding.

Screenshot_20201022-084352.png

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You do realize their population is based on available food source?

Quit feeding so much and they will die back.
Um, I've gone down to feeding the fish once a day and a small amount. Been doing that for a while, so your suggestion that I'm feeding my fish so much is baseless. I know they thrive on extra food. When I said leftovers it wasn't meant to imply I overfeed my fish.

New&no clue

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought an arrow crab. First night in the tank I checked him at night and he was munching away on a worm. He wont go after the big ones, but he eats the smaller ones.

Xanthurum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate to ask the obvious question but did you leave the trap in the tank overnight? If not you need to do that since they come out more at night. Second though it’s use bait that doesn’t come apart so easy like a chunk of shrimp.
arrow crabs also love to eat bristleworms as do many wrasses as mentioned above

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: built my own trap from suggestions. First time didn't work, but kept on trying and managed to get about a hundred out.

Was actually using my diy trap and another one I bought. However, there were too many, so I took drastic measures.

Painstakingly took the rocks out of the tank and dipped them in cold tap water. They came out of their crevices like crazy. I was able to clear most of them, but I know there are still a bunch more. I didn't want to risk killing my corals so I put everything back after getting as many worms out. Even plucked a bunch with tweezers.

I will try this whole thing again over the weekend. Hopefully I can rid of them all. I am still setting my traps as they were working.

PXL_20201109_182108126.jpg PXL_20201102_202316039.jpg PXL_20201103_051635185.jpg PXL_20201107_132046133.jpg PXL_20201109_172219234.jpg

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly sure the dipping the rocks in tap water is not a great idea. Patients may be needed here. Especially since there isn’t any indications of the bristle worms eating fish or coral

OP
OP
Avelino Alicea

Avelino Alicea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m fairly sure the dipping the rocks in tap water is not a great idea. Patients may be needed here. Especially since there isn’t any indications of the bristle worms eating fish or coral
There was nothing on the rocks other than the bristleworms. It actually worked and I don't regret doing it. I had to take action because my yellow gobies are spawning and the worms kept eating the eggs.

joseserrano

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was nothing on the rocks other than the bristleworms. It actually worked and I don't regret doing it. I had to take action because my yellow gobies are spawning and the worms kept eating the eggs.
The possibility of contamination from the tap water and bacterial disturbance caused may change your tune in time, but either way, good luck with your quest.

Pistol Peet

Reefing , family ,God, country.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any suggestions on how to get rid of all these bristleworms? At first it seemed okay as they were eating detritus and leftover food, but now they're so many I can't even get my yellow clown goby eggs to make it past their second day.

I've tried traps and they don't work. The worms are smart enough to not go all the way in so they are able to come right out after grabbing the bait.

There has to be a better, less intrusive way to get rid of them.

I have a red mithrax crab that's been catching some, and a blue striped dottyback that doesn't seem to know he's supposed to eat them (apparently tank bred).

Help help help.
Funnel trap home maid worked great for me only 2 dollars to make.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back