Bristleworm possible firework problem

Lucyintheseawithdiamonds

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started with me seeing about 5 bristleworms on my; then after researching what they are and all the types I took a flashlight and saw probably give or take 50. That’s with what I can see with a flashlight and sometimes with the regular light on. I’m moving into a bigger tank and was going to move things over then I decide to take a flashlight to the sand and low and behold movement bigger movement. About a 1/4 inch wide, seems to be around 10 inches. Since I have to move everything over by 8 tonight. Could really use some advice on how to proceed. I did some research but wanted to hear personally what works, etc. Much gratitude to those who help. Feeling pretty clueless this is Mays first year with a saltwater tank and already as everyone made mistakes and want keep my next tank as worm free as possible. Then I see conflicting information that they can be great clean up crews. Opinions ideas please.

Last edited:

Fishy212

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t try to fight Mother Nature. The bristle worms will be there and they are a very important part of your CUC.

Try to reduce feedings. The population will depend on what is available in the tank. You can do diy traps with a plastic bottle set at an angle so they can crawl in but can crawl out. You can do this every day and every night until the population declines.

You can get a coral banded shrimp, 6 line wrasse or arrow crab that eat bristle worms. Hope this helps you out . Good luck!

Billdogg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't worry about the bristle worms. I agree 100% that they are a valuable part of a healthy system.

About the larger worm you saw in the sand. Is the coloration similar to the smaller bristleworms? If it is, indeed, a fireworm, they are usually much more colorful. It could also be a peanut or spaghetti worm. They are both good guys as well.

IMHO, unless you know it is harmful to you or your reef, try to keep it. The greater the biodiversity of your tank the healthier it will be.

How old is your current system? I would suggest rinsing the existing sand with the current tanks water before you move it anyway. There can be a surprising amount of gunk in there and there is no good reason to move it to the new tank. You will lose some of the bristle worms, but they will quickly repopulate in a new system.

Good luck, and pictures!!

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It started with me seeing about 5 bristleworms on my; then after researching what they are and all the types I took a flashlight and saw probably give or take 50. That’s with what I can see with a flashlight and sometimes with the regular light on. I’m moving into a bigger tank and was going to move things over then I decide to take a flashlight to the sand and low and behold movement bigger movement. About a 1/4 inch wide, seems to be around 10 inches. Since I have to move everything over by 8 tonight. Could really use some advice on how to proceed. I did some research but wanted to hear personally what works, etc. Much gratitude to those who help. Feeling pretty clueless this is Mays first year with a saltwater tank and already as everyone made mistakes and want keep my next tank as worm free as possible. Then I see conflicting information that they can be great clean up crews. Opinions ideas please.

It sounds like you want to move everything over to another tank, but not the bristle worms...

They are ugly, for sure, but they are useful as they live in sand and are constantly churning it as they scavenge for food.

I wouldn't move the sand over. But if you do, be sure to THOROUGHLY rinse it before placing it in the new tank. Using new sand will help to eliminate a large portion of the bristle worms, but not all. Eventually, they will populate the new tank.

Dom

CindyKz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1, bristleworms are generally good guys and no big deal. Just don't handle them, they sting.

IMHO, unless you know it is harmful to you or your reef, try to keep it. The greater the biodiversity of your tank the healthier it will be.

Also strongly agree with this statement. Many of the creatures considered "pests" are not really as worrisome as you might think.

danieyella

unfriendly local swamp witch
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you're moving your tank over anyway, I'd replace sand to begin with. Or as stated above, rinse REALLY well.

You're going to inevitably move a few over with the rockwork, and a few really aren't bad. Like everyone else said, they're an important part of the cuc. If you want to keep their population more controlled, pop an arrow crab in there. I see mine eating them all the time, and the ONLY time I see a bristleworm is when the arrow crab is eating one. I know I've got them in there but he keeps the population under control.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 43 35.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 22.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.3%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.3%
Back