OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bee sting! Maybe even a small sweat bee sting at the time yesterday but today it’s hurting worse than when it happened! My fingers are pretty sore this morning!

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, they don't look like they'd be fun. I learned my lesson about stinging sea creatures in Guam. Got hit by urchins multiple times, and a stonefish once, all while surfing. Definitely not my kind of party.
I worked at a place an we had stonefish nasty man! We would only sell those and blue dot octopi to very knowledgeable aquarists.

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your reaction is going to depend on a lot of variables, your particular immune response being the most varied. Make sure its washed they can leave their spines. Try using a strong tape or rubber cement to remove any if left behind, afterwards clean well rinse with alcohol.
Benadryl might help reduce the swelling. If starts to impede movement, circulation, or becomes more than a localized immune response see a doctor :)

Last time i got hit took 1 and a half weeks to go back to normal. Im also sensitive to most insect stings though.

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they're part of a good clean up crew, but they give me the willie's... And not the Nelson kind. I'll stick to grabbing them with tongs and putting them in almost empty beer bottles. (valley girl voice) Grrrrrooooosssss!

Mike Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know they're part of a good clean up crew, but they give me the willie's... And not the Nelson kind. I'll stick to grabbing them with tongs and putting them in almost empty beer bottles. (valley girl voice) Grrrrrooooosssss!
Lol I've been keeping reefs on an off for almost 25 years now, back when I first started we used to make elaborate traps and contraptions to get rid of them, because we thought they were pests. I've been out of the satwater hobby about 10 years or better a couple months back I seen one in the GF's 20g hex and was like ohhhhhh nooooo. Did a bit of googling an I found out we keep them now and that they are part of a good CUC lol. So much has changed over the years.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

They give me the willies also but the wife likes them so I keep them around!

Tedzilla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Same here, got my first saltwater tank at 15 in 93'. I will never get over how disgusting they are. And I can stomach pretty much anything. But bristleworms just gross me out. The bigger, the uglier.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only bristleworm I've ever had - I found floating dead on the surface of my DT water one day... Didn't know I had it until I found it dead.

No idea what killed it or why it died - or if there area any more.

Barrett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The last time I got stung by one I had to wrap the area with duct tape to remove the bristles that were stuck in my finger and the pain went away almost instantly

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
O there's never just 1 you can believe that .. get the flashlight out after 4 hours of the lights being off. You might be surprised what you see

Only bristleworm I've ever had - I found floating dead on the surface of my DT water one day... Didn't know I had it until I found it dead.

No idea what killed it or why it died - or if there area any more.

TinyChocobo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
O there's never just 1 you can believe that .. get the flashlight out after 4 hours of the lights being off. You might be surprised what you see
It’s a new tank and I used all dry rock although I did have it in my curing tank with some live rock. I’m fine if I have them - was just surprised to find one floating.

anbosu

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can soak your fingers in vinegar after you get stung, that can help remove the bristles. I used to react pretty badly to them then I started doing that and it helped a lot.

rcmike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been stung by them more times than I can remember. Actually, I usually don't feel it until I get my hands out of the tank and have the little spines in my finger and start touching other stuff. It doesn't really hurt, just irritating. You can pit vinegar on it like said before and they will dissolve.

LbulletM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Mine have gotten brave and come out whenever they feel like it. Especially when I feed corals.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 35.8%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 22.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back