Bristleworms in Chatoe

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers, for years I’ve been a Bristleworms keeper on this site, with proper culling. Well, 4 major back surgeries have prohibited me from culling, and husband hates to fish them other than water changes. I’ve been trying , but had to resort to 3D printing trap (it works). Now I’ve found many worms moving in the sump packed with Chatoe.
Can I soak it in freshwater to kill the worms? I don’t trust culling because of little pieces. Anyone have luck? And how long to soak safely
Many thanks, Debra

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi fellow reefers, for years I’ve been a Bristleworms keeper on this site, with proper culling. Well, 4 major back surgeries have prohibited me from culling, and husband hates to fish them other than water changes. I’ve been trying , but had to resort to 3D printing trap (it works). Now I’ve found many worms moving in the sump packed with Chatoe.
Can I soak it in freshwater to kill the worms? I don’t trust culling because of little pieces. Anyone have luck? And how long to soak safely
Many thanks, Debra
What is the problem with bristleworms?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if some-Big if you feed and hundred crawl out of your live rock at once, under lights!!!!!
Are they the 1 cm long version or creepy long ones?

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, guess I wasn’t clear I’m an advocate for them!!!!!!’
Haven’t culled them out because of back surgeries for 2 1/2 years. I’ve been using trap and shrimp net and been successful.
They have gone to the sump now and eaten pods, I want to know if the Chato can be soaked in freshwater to kill them?
We have a whole bay stuffed full, so some loss is not a problem. Anyone facing this, please help!!!
Thanks

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they the 1 cm long version or creepy long ones?
The big ones are mostly above, I’m afraid the sump is a nursery!!!! I’ve been pulling out clumps of Chato to kill them, but there embedded within it. I’ve been using the brine shrimp net for years to cull! I’m not worried about the tank, it’s the sump I’m concerned about!

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The big ones are mostly above, I’m afraid the sump is a nursery!!!! I’ve been pulling out clumps of Chato to kill them, but there embedded within it. I’ve been using the brine shrimp net for years to cull! I’m not worried about the tank, it’s the sump I’m concerned about!
It might be somewhat the other way round. The breeders are in the aquarium and the eggs (?) collect in the sump where they feed on organic matter that collect there. Just a thought.

Is there much detritus in the sump and where the Chaeto is?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I dont welcome bristles although they are good cleaners. An arrow crab may be a consideration in the sump with the chaeto. FW may not phase them but Prazi may work too

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be somewhat the other way round. The breeders are in the aquarium and the eggs (?) collect in the sump where they feed on organic matter that collect there. Just a thought.

Is there much detritus in the sump and where the Chaeto is?
Yes, there is, you might be right! Crap, just saw copepods when snapping thic pic. You can see the worms!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 32

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, there is, you might be right! Crap, just saw copepods when snapping thic pic. You can see the worms!
Yes, I see the little lurkers! I cleaned out my Ulva pond the other day and saw a few of these in the detritus.

OP
OP
Debramb

Debramb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next water change I might have hubby clean from the sump, thanks again, soaking Chato is now out, precious pods, my tangs love them off live rock!!!!

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 17 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 37 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 144 67.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.8%
Back