How much food does a giant bristleworm need?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Tired
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None
Right, I know they're scavengers, and this one was definitely getting enough to eat. Thing is, I'm adjusting the auto-feeder, so it won't be dropping excess food by the worm's home. If I do keep this, I don't want to starve it, so I'm trying to figure out how much food it would need.

Believe it or not, I don't actually (appear to) have a lot of smaller ones. I have about three smaller ones that I've seen, and that's at peak extension of everything reaching out of the rock for food. None under the rockwork except this one, I know that much. I also have at least three reticulated brittle stars, which, though not very large, are probably eating some of the food that would otherwise be turned into more bristleworms.

I'm not sure freezing is a humane way to kill these. If you don't have any clove oil to use as an alternative (and, IMO, clove oil should be in everyone's fishkeeping cabinet, for moribund fish if nothing else), refrigerating them for a few hours first, to try to render them less aware or entirely unaware first, is probably a good idea.
What does the clove oil do or used for ?
 
Yep. It's an anesthetic. Add it very slowly to a container of water with a fish or other gill-having animal (slowly because it's an irritant in large amounts), and the animal in question will slowly fall asleep, go unconscious, and die without suffering. I always keep some on hand for fish that are sick or badly injured enough that euthanasia is the only kind thing to do, and I use it for some pests as well.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 3 60.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new