How much food does a giant bristleworm need?

DJC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right, I know they're scavengers, and this one was definitely getting enough to eat. Thing is, I'm adjusting the auto-feeder, so it won't be dropping excess food by the worm's home. If I do keep this, I don't want to starve it, so I'm trying to figure out how much food it would need.

Believe it or not, I don't actually (appear to) have a lot of smaller ones. I have about three smaller ones that I've seen, and that's at peak extension of everything reaching out of the rock for food. None under the rockwork except this one, I know that much. I also have at least three reticulated brittle stars, which, though not very large, are probably eating some of the food that would otherwise be turned into more bristleworms.

I'm not sure freezing is a humane way to kill these. If you don't have any clove oil to use as an alternative (and, IMO, clove oil should be in everyone's fishkeeping cabinet, for moribund fish if nothing else), refrigerating them for a few hours first, to try to render them less aware or entirely unaware first, is probably a good idea.
What does the clove oil do or used for ?

OP
OP
Tired

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep. It's an anesthetic. Add it very slowly to a container of water with a fish or other gill-having animal (slowly because it's an irritant in large amounts), and the animal in question will slowly fall asleep, go unconscious, and die without suffering. I always keep some on hand for fish that are sick or badly injured enough that euthanasia is the only kind thing to do, and I use it for some pests as well.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back