Bristleworms removed!

Muffin87

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If those are creepy imagine tearing down a huge lagoon with 500+ lbs of rock for 3 days, to find a Bobbit worm crawling over my barefoot. It was at least 5 feet. it must have came in our our rock (this was in the late 90s) and lived in there 6 years or so... i had no idea such creatures existed till the pond was down to a a few inches.
Bobbie worms are the spawn of satan, are what nightmares are made of.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See the first line on this thread

The OP really into remove all living thing out of LR and LS. It seem that she has great satisfaction from remove all the worms and kill them.
Best for her and the worm population that there is none in her “reef tank”

Am I been mean? If I am then I am sorry. Will stop comment on this thread now.

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Soaked one of the rocks in hot distilled water with H2O2. After an hour, this is what my daughter and I were able to get out of the rock. The really big one broke in half, but still. Gross!
Just to let you know by soaking your rocks in distilled water with hydrogen peroxide, your rock has lost it's bacteria too. Now dead rocks and dead worms....to each their own
The Princess Bride Prince Humperdink GIF by filmeditor

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seriously, If you, @AGWL, want a marine aquarium without LR and LS, I would revert to the way we keep marine aquariums before the enlighten time (around 1970's).
Use an under-gravel filter with calcium base sand coarse substances like dolomites. Make sure that the substrate is sterile before you use it so no chances of carves of various marine invertebrates are in it. Make sure you don't use natural sea water and not add any salt water from other tanks into your system. Use fluidized filter or wet-dry filter. These filters are very effective at convert ammonia to nitrates.
When you add animals into your tank, make sure you rinse them with your tank water several time and discarded all the water that come with them. Discard all the LR that the corals attach to on arrival. All these methods will likely eliminate almost every living invert that accident or hitchhiking to your tank.
This will ensure that you only add what you want and almost nothing else.

You can keep fish like this, and some hardy inverts like crustaceans. It will be up to you to do water change to keep nitrates down. It will be up to you to feed them with a good diet that will give them a well balance nutrition.

There will be no creepy crawlers in your marine aquarium if you set it up this way. I did it back then and keep a lot of really nice fish healthy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AGWL

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms gross me out. Sorry, not sorry. We all have things that bother us that don't bother other people.

The tank I was given was heavily infested. Severely gross. I ended up not using any of the rock or substrate from that tank when I moved into the 55g (so, yeah, the H2O2-killed rock is now chilling nicely in my kids' rock garden). No bristle worms in the new tank!

I'm relatively new back into the hobby (my last marine tank was in 2002). I'm still getting caught up on things, so please be kind if my questions or choices aren't to your liking. I appreciate the help and the advice.

Have a great day everyone! Here's a happy picture of my tuxedo urchin wearing a crown!

Attachments

• IMG_1055.jpg
    IMG_1055.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 21

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am you, I would boil everything first before I put it into your tank. You must keep it hot long enough to boiling temperature reach inside the middle of the rock. Rinse everything alive, that you want in the tank, with fresh sterile sea water. You can boil salt water then cool it down.
Doing this you will have animals you put into the tank on purpose and no hitch hiker. I am sure you can achieve what you want by doing this. Won't have a very interesting tank, IMO, and very difficult to keep stable, but with enough water changes, hopefully it can keep the fishes alive. Some of the invertebrates are a lot hardier, but "creepiness" is a death sentence so "creepiness be gone".
Please do not boil rock!!

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bristle worms gross me out. Sorry, not sorry. We all have things that bother us that don't bother other people.

The tank I was given was heavily infested. Severely gross. I ended up not using any of the rock or substrate from that tank when I moved into the 55g (so, yeah, the H2O2-killed rock is now chilling nicely in my kids' rock garden). No bristle worms in the new tank!

I'm relatively new back into the hobby (my last marine tank was in 2002). I'm still getting caught up on things, so please be kind if my questions or choices aren't to your liking. I appreciate the help and the advice.

Have a great day everyone! Here's a happy picture of my tuxedo urchin wearing a crown!
I'm glad you were successful in what you wanted to do.
Hopefully any remaining (or new, if you add anything else to your tank) worms will be small and rarely seen. You can help keep their numbers small by not overfeeding the tank... the reason some of us don't mind them is that they are great at eating detritus and extra food.

Good luck! :)

OP
OP
AGWL

AGWL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you were successful in what you wanted to do.
Hopefully any remaining (or new, if you add anything else to your tank) worms will be small and rarely seen. You can help keep their numbers small by not overfeeding the tank... the reason some of us don't mind them is that they are great at eating detritus and extra food.

Good luck! :)
Thank you, from one Eeyore to another.

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Am I been mean? If I am then I am sorry. Will stop comment on this thread now.
No, not mean at all. It's just dangerous to boil this type of rock. Expanding gasses and all.

And yes, after a soak in H2O2, everything on it was pretty much dead.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back