Brittle star function?

When I did my temperate tank transfer, I think I saved about a thousand... It just never ended... For a week I would stir up the gravel/sand and more would start climbing the glass. But I think they be like RBTA's the first one may be expensive, but your next 100 are free.... :thinking-face:
I had alot of them in my previous tank, but my current tank for some reason doesn't have any or barely any.
Never noticed one.
 
My lfs had been sent two green brittle stars . They didn’t want them nor did they want to sell them to anyone who didn’t know what they were getting . I paid 6for each . I actually loved them and kept them in a tank with mostly larger fish .I would hand feed them . They could zero in on my hand with shrimp and swim up to the surface and literally wrap their arms around my fingers and eat . I could tell when they had eaten enough because their main body would be plump with food . I knew when they wanted to eat because the plumpness would shrink . . There were small fish in there but the gobies were too smart to ever go under their umbrella stance . I eventually moved them to a 20 gal from a 50 gal tank . One morning I came in and noticed the smaller one had his arm detached . Wasn’t sure what was wrong . All the parameters were good . I did a water change anyway . Well several days later all the other 4 arms were detached while the larger serpent was fine . . Well I heard they can regrow their arms so I fed him by placing food directly under his mouth . Well days later I came in the morning before lights on, the larger one was literally on top of the other . The smaller didn’t survive . I assume it was warfare . I really enjoyed feeding them . Watching a serpent star swimming is pretty cool . They were always out in the open , never hiding . The kids got a kick out of it wanting to see them eat .
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 11 26.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 6 14.6%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 8 19.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 1 2.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new