Broken literally

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So aqueon has a glass shortage and they are using whatever glass they have on hand. I have bought two of their tanks and both were all tempered glass. I called aqueon after returning both tanks and they can not guarantee if the tanks sides are tempered or not. Basically it’s a shake of the dice. Did you do the computer screen test to see if it’s tempered?

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So aqueon has a glass shortage and they are using whatever glass they have on hand. I have bought two of their tanks and both were all tempered glass. I called aqueon after returning both tanks and they can not guarantee if the tanks sides are tempered or not. Basically it’s a shake of the dice. Did you do the computer screen test to see if it’s tempered?
No I did not. I figured since I saw Synergy use the exact same tank that I was good to go. I just tested the front though and it shattered into a thousand pieces so I'm pretty sure you're spot on

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey sorry this happened to you! I live in McKinney too, I remember drilling my first tank and it was very stressful.

You might check with Smayda Aquatics, I'm pretty sure they drill tanks. If you want to use the broken one to test on I might be able to demonstrate or help out at some point.
Great to know there's another reefer nearby! I just drilled the front in a medium to slow speed and it burst into a bunch of pieces so I think it may have been a quality control thing. Will let you know if I need some advice or the like!

Daltrey

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should practice on that tank using the front and sides until you get comfortable. Using plumbers putty to make a donut filled with water would be best.

Edited:

If it shattered then its tempered and can’t be drilled.

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are trying to drill tempered glass...that’s the problem. Aqueon is in my backyard they’re pretty much just using tempered glass right now.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You guys are trying to drill tempered glass...that’s the problem. Aqueon is in my backyard they’re pretty much just using tempered glass right now.
dang this is tragic. Looks like I'm hitting the local LFS to look for used tanks

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I didn't think Aqueon would switch up the glass since drilling the back seems to be pretty common.

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call em. I’ve had a few conversations with their reps. In fact I have a 75 in my basement that the LFS guaranteed to be non tempered sides. Did the laptop test and no doubt tempered. LFS called aqueon and they told him the same thing.

Tommy Ray Oakley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Next time if you try use fabric softener and a big piece of PVC pipe to keep it in. The fabric softener keeps drill cool and cuts down on friction temp on glass. Just go slow. Also now that you have a broke tank experiment with the good sides to get the hang of it.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call em. I’ve had a few conversations with their reps. In fact I have a 75 in my basement that the LFS guaranteed to be non tempered sides. Did the laptop test and no doubt tempered. LFS called aqueon and they told him the same thing.
Jeez, no wonder they're so cheap on the gallon sales. I have a 10g I picked up for QT but at this point I just want to not waste $90 and scour for a deal

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jeez, no wonder they're so cheap on the gallon sales. I have a 10g I picked up for QT but at this point I just want to not waste $90 and scour for a deal

That was part of their explanation. Petco has ordered so many tanks for their dollar deals that it’s caused the aqueon glass shortage.

Reef of Fillory

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks!

Yeah I used the reef synergy template. It was a couple feet off the ground laid horizontally on saw horses. Didn't use plumbers putty but I was holding a hose directly on drill bit to cool it the entire time. Medium to high speed with no pressure on the drill

I bet that was your problem, if the tank wasn't on a flat surface, I bet the panel of glass was bending ever so slightly and you offered a relief of tension which allowed it to snap. I did mine on the carpet with a towel underneath of the opposing side to catch the 'puck'. I also drilled my Biocube vertically while full using soaked papertowel as a cooler for the bit. Looking at the picture you posted, that tank couldn't have been tempered with a straight crack like it has. Tempered glass shatters.

Better to drill with it flat on a surface [ground, concrete, carpet, wood floor etc.]

mamedina

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bet that was your problem, if the tank wasn't on a flat surface, I bet the panel of glass was bending ever so slightly and you offered a relief of tension which allowed it to snap. I did mine on the carpet with a towel underneath of the opposing side to catch the 'puck'. I also drilled my Biocube vertically while full using soaked papertowel as a cooler for the bit. Looking at the picture you posted, that tank couldn't have been tempered with a straight crack like it has. Tempered glass shatters.

Better to drill with it flat on a surface [ground, concrete, carpet, wood floor etc.]

Tempered glass shatters but it looks like it’s a painted side...

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I also thought this might be the problem so when I tested the front I set it on the ground with towels and it shattered completely

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The thing is, you can never be completely sure if it is tempered or not, unless you test it yourself. YouTube has numerous videos showing how to do this with a pair of polarized sunglasses and a laptop screen. I knew you couldn't have checked it since the glass was painted. You need to be able to see through it.

I had a friend that ordered a 220 gallon tank from a custom builder with a standard bottom. He told them not to use tempered glass, because he was going to drill it himself. As soon as the bit cut into the bottom, it shattered the entire pane of glass. Always best to check yourself to be sure.

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 1$ gallon tanks is causing the shortage in the glass. Most are tempered glass now.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The thing is, you can never be completely sure if it is tempered or not, unless you test it yourself. YouTube has numerous videos showing how to do this with a pair of polarized sunglasses and a laptop screen. I knew you couldn't have checked it since the glass was painted. You need to be able to see through it.

I had a friend that ordered a 220 gallon tank from a custom builder with a standard bottom. He told them not to use tempered glass, because he was going to drill it himself. As soon as the bit cut into the bottom, it shattered the entire pane of glass. Always best to check yourself to be sure.

I imagine he was pretty angry. To be fair I painted the back glass before I decided I was going to drill for an overflow but I trusted previous videos of aqueons getting drilled and that's on me. Realized it's kinda dumb to skimp out on a tank when pumps cost me $600 so I'll be checking my LFS today for a reef ready tank, especially if Aqueon is having a shortage

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not skimping just not aware of the issues that have been going on

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to use an Aqueon tank. I don't think you will find a reef ready tank drilled for your Synergy overflow. Those corner overflows take up a lot of real estate inside your tank. The Synergy overflow frees up a lot of space for aquascaping, corals & swimming room for fish. Just something to consider.

Monkichi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't have to use an Aqueon tank. I don't think you will find a reef ready tank drilled for your Synergy overflow. Those corner overflows take up a lot of real estate inside your tank. The Synergy overflow frees up a lot of space for aquascaping, corals & swimming room for fish. Just something to consider.

I agree, I wish I didn't have two internal overflows. I would much rather have drilled external ones, but after 5 years of dealing with them I need some serious motivation to build another tank in place of this one. Next one, whenever that is, will have custom overflows that do not get in my way. After a while you realize these things stay as a focal point for many years in your home, it just doesn't make sense to skimp on the tank and not get exactly what you want when you avg. the cost over life of equipment.

Back