Broken literally

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been building up to drilling my 75G 48x20x18 Aqueon tank. Of course it cracked and broke and at this point I'm pretty broken. Must have watched 20 videos on it and I have no clue what I did wrong. That's $100 down the drain and before I bought another I was wondering if anyone happen to know a store or service or person who can drill a tank in the DFW area

Last edited:

Fin

Professional Procrastinator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make sure it wasn't tempered glass? Did you drill the bottom or the back? I think Aqueon uses tempered glass on some bottom glasses. You cannot drill tempered glass, no matter how careful you are.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you make sure it wasn't tempered glass? Did you drill the bottom or the back? I think Aqueon uses tempered glass on some bottom glasses. You cannot drill tempered glass, no matter how careful you are.
I drilled the back and made sure it wasn't tempered. Same exact Aqueon as synergy reef used in their demo video. I don't know if it made a difference but mine was already painted

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sorry that happened to you. Not a good feeling, I 'm sure. Did it shatter in a spiderweb pattern, or did it just crack? Rarely hear of of one breaking, but it is possible.

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be your fault. The glass could have been slightly warped and under tension. After the break, did you try drilling on another area of the tank to test your skills?

Monkichi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been building up to drilling my 75G 48x20x18 Aqueon tank. Of course it cracked and broke and at this point I'm pretty broken. Must have watched 20 videos on it and I have no clue what I did wrong. That's $100 down the drain and before I bought another I was wondering if anyone happen to know a store or service or person who can drill a tank in the DFW area

There used to be a shop in Arlington years ago that kinda had a DIY feel to it, the owner Vincent would drill tanks for me. This was early 2000's. I'd just call around some of the better shops you might be surprised who is willing to do it. Also, are you a DFWMAS member? Plenty of folks on there have and or might do it for you or also know who would.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, sorry that happened to you. Not a good feeling, I 'm sure. Did it shatter in a spiderweb pattern, or did it just crack? Rarely hear of of one breaking, but it is possible.
Just cracked from the drill hole outward. Its a little dark out but I'll try to take a picture

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's broke straight across.

IMG_2105.JPG

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There used to be a shop in Arlington years ago that kinda had a DIY feel to it, the owner Vincent would drill tanks for me. This was early 2000's. I'd just call around some of the better shops you might be surprised who is willing to do it. Also, are you a DFWMAS member? Plenty of folks on there have and or might do it for you or also know who would.
I follow them on facebook but am not a paying member yet. I was planning on doing that after I actually put water in my tank. I think I know of the Arlington shop you're talking about and I'll give them a call tomorrow. Every fish store I've called said they won't drill so I'm debating just buying a reef ready tank for 3x the cost. My pukani has been sitting in a tub for 2 months and this was my last step

cmcoker

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's quite a few shops around. Are you more west or east? In FW I'd try Frank's Tanks. Midcities try midcities aquariums, sor ocean avenue. More east exotic aquatics. Those are the shops I would personally try first based on what I know of local reputation.

Here's a link to all the lfs in DFW

http://www.dfwmas.org/lfs

And joining now can make the most of the discount offered by some of the lfs for being a member. I make up my membership fee in discounts on salt every year..

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might not be your fault. The glass could have been slightly warped and under tension. After the break, did you try drilling on another area of the tank to test your skills?
Testing out the front tomorrow. Wasn't actually me who drilled, I made my Dad do it since he drilled glass before and this less likely to break it

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's quite a few shops around. Are you more west or east? In FW I'd try Frank's Tanks. Midcities try midcities aquariums, sor ocean avenue. More east exotic aquatics. Those are the shops I would personally try first based on what I know of local reputation.

Here's a link to all the lfs in DFW

http://www.dfwmas.org/lfs

And joining now can make the most of the discount offered by some of the lfs for being a member. I make up my membership fee in discounts on salt every year..

I'm in Mckinney so I frequent Exotic Aquatics quite a bit. They unfortunately don't do it but I'm going to try some of the Arlington shops tomorrow. Thanks for the help

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a most unusual crack. I've never seen one like that. Fill us in on the details of how you drilled and maybe we could make some suggestions.

Examples of details:
1. Did you use a guide?
2. Did you use plumber's putty between and guide and glass, with the guide held in place with tape?
3. Did you cool the drill by having it in a water bath....filled within the guide?
4. Slow speed on the drill?
5. No pressure on the drill?

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just cracked

Well it wasn't tempered then. Tempered will shatter in a million pieces. I know all too well as I've had one shatter long, long ,long ago on me.

Must have been stressed.

OP
OP
Tallison

Tallison

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a most unusual crack. I've never seen one like that. Fill us in on the details of how you drilled and maybe we could make some suggestions.

Examples of details:
1. Did you use a guide?
2. Did you use plumber's putty between and guide and glass, with the guide held in place with tape?
3. Did you cool the drill by having it in a water bath....filled within the guide?
4. Slow speed on the drill?
5. No pressure on the drill?
Thanks!

Yeah I used the reef synergy template. It was a couple feet off the ground laid horizontally on saw horses. Didn't use plumbers putty but I was holding a hose directly on drill bit to cool it the entire time. Medium to high speed with no pressure on the drill

Fin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might try a glass shop, if you can't find a LFS willing to do it. Not sure if they would take on the responsibility either, but worth a shot.

HM3105

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm in Mckinney so I frequent Exotic Aquatics quite a bit. They unfortunately don't do it but I'm going to try some of the Arlington shops tomorrow. Thanks for the help

Hey sorry this happened to you! I live in McKinney too, I remember drilling my first tank and it was very stressful.

You might check with Smayda Aquatics, I'm pretty sure they drill tanks. If you want to use the broken one to test on I might be able to demonstrate or help out at some point.

Monkichi

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I follow them on facebook but am not a paying member yet. I was planning on doing that after I actually put water in my tank. I think I know of the Arlington shop you're talking about and I'll give them a call tomorrow. Every fish store I've called said they won't drill so I'm debating just buying a reef ready tank for 3x the cost. My pukani has been sitting in a tub for 2 months and this was my last step

I remembered the name, tranquilscapes. They did a lot of pond builds. If they (Vincent) is still around let me know. He was a really good shop owner.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 66 85.7%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.9%
Back