Broken RODI housing. Has anyone seen this before

RobAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi! New to R2R. Any help would be appreciated. My RODI housing fractured right below the threading and the bottom fell off (yes flooding the basement). This is after 6 months of use. A couple weeks ago the same thing happened to one of the other housings. Functions normally otherwise. Anyone have this happen or ideas as to why? I figured manufacturing defect on first one… 2/3 broken now… so wondering about other answers!

DF8C4ADB-BFE1-41BF-B862-341B570D43AD.jpeg
9CA815B1-C420-4FF3-95C9-6D3C4ABF3EF3.jpeg

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen that type of break with a friend who had his unit in an unheated garage....and it froze on a cold night.

The only other thought is that they were over tightened???? I loose-tighten the canisters; turn the water on and snug them up if I see dripping.

OP
OP
R

RobAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've only seen that type of break with a friend who had his unit in an unheated garage....and it froze on a cold night.

The only other thought is that they were over tightened???? I loose-tighten the canisters; turn the water on and snug them up if I see dripping.
thx! I wondered about over tightening on the first one too, but the second for sure was not (and the threaded parts came off pretty easy both times). The RODI is in my basement.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a bad batch of plastic weld to glue the threaded part on? Looks like its clearly 2 pieces glued together. Would assume if they were the cannisters that came with the unit, they were produced in the same batch.

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I never realized that the thread part was glued on are they all like that.
I wasn’t saying for a fact they are, just making an observation based on the clean break that appears in the photo. When I change my cannisters I only hand tighten them since they have an o-ring. Only time I’ve ever had leaks is because I’m not paying attention that the o-ring came out of place.

OP
OP
R

RobAndy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly a bad batch of plastic weld to glue the threaded part on? Looks like its clearly 2 pieces glued together. Would assume if they were the cannisters that came with the unit, they were produced in the same batch.
Picture may not show it well, it is one piece that broke but that would have made sense.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Seen it before. Typically caused by over-tightening the housing or water in the housing freezing.
1. Hand tighten, and maybe only 1/8 turn with wrench if need
2. If still leaks, replace the oring
3. Clean and lube orings every time you change filters.

When you tighten the housing you're pulling the threads UP and away from the rest of the housing being held DOWN by the oring seating against the lid.

Russ

redfishbluefish

Stay Positive, Stay Productive
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes. Seen it before. Typically caused by over-tightening the housing or water in the housing freezing.
1. Hand tighten, and maybe only 1/8 turn with wrench if need
2. If still leaks, replace the oring
3. Clean and lube orings every time you change filters.

When you tighten the housing you're pulling the threads UP and away from the rest of the housing being held DOWN by the oring seating against the lid.

Russ

Spot on! One further comment with lubing O-rings; Do not use petroleum base lubes, such as Vaseline. Petroleum based lubes will be absorbed by the rubber and cause it to swell and fail. Buy a lube specifically made for rubber, such as Plumber's Grease for rubber (note some Plumber's Grease is petroleum based, so check.) I use a lube for swimming pool rubber stuff. A large tube is a life time supply

1701870297802.png

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RobAndy, are you in Sudbury Ma. or Sudbury elsewhere? If you are in Ma, I have two spare canisters you can borrow until you get replacements. (PM me if that would help)

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 124 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back