Brook in tank

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my clown today to what I believe to be brook. Cloudy eyes, mucus on skin and rapid breathing last night. I noticed this 2 days ago but honestly I didn’t want to believe that she was sick. Even though I’m upset about it since she was my first fish, she is not the only one in the tank. I have a royal gramma too and now I need to think of his health too. I don’t have the funds to set up a qt tank so honestly I’m kind of stuck. My royal isn’t showing too many symptoms besides slight loss of appetite. I really do just need advice on what to do next (tank is 5 months old and I haven’t added anything new so what could’ve introduced brook into the tank?)

LAReefer4Life

Lover of Angelfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I lost my clown today to what I believe to be brook. Cloudy eyes, mucus on skin and rapid breathing last night. I noticed this 2 days ago but honestly I didn’t want to believe that she was sick. Even though I’m upset about it since she was my first fish, she is not the only one in the tank. I have a royal gramma too and now I need to think of his health too. I don’t have the funds to set up a qt tank so honestly I’m kind of stuck. My royal isn’t showing too many symptoms besides slight loss of appetite. I really do just need advice on what to do next (tank is 5 months old and I haven’t added anything new so what could’ve introduced brook into the tank?)
Sorry for your troubles. Pics speak a thousand words. Recommend that you take a short video under white lighting to assist with proper diagnoses.

Brook can be treated with FWD and then Reef Rally in display, technically reef safe and other have had good success using it.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cloudy eyes and rapid breathing can also be flukes. Please post a pic or two, even video under white lighting for accurate assessment.
In the mean time, whether Brooklynella or flukes, you can give the fish a 5 min freshwater dip the same temp as display tank which will offer temporary relief and buy some time to apply the proper treatment. A quarantine tank can be as simple as a starter tank kit from walmart which has most of the essentials needed.

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you for your response I do not have a pic of the clown because I did find him dead and it didn’t really come to me to take a picture of it however I did take a short vid of my royal and he seems a bit okay for now I will try feeding in a few minueted and see how that goes. He’s not really letting me get a video in pure whites because that’s the color I set my lights to when I do a WC and scrape algae off the glass. Will this be okay for now? If not I can try dimming blues and getting some more white in there

Attachments

• IMG_1884.MOV
    19.5 MB
OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also how could flukes get into the tank if i haven’t added anything new in the past 2 months or so ( last thing I got were some snails on a Black Friday sale )

OP
OP
Matt Bravo

Matt Bravo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I went to my LFS earlier today I just came back and they suspect it was velvet. I do have a royal gramma it didn’t eat earlier at 4 but I came back at 7 and he ate 7 medium sized pieces of mysis. They said to qt him either way. But they also said he wouldn’t make another 2 days. Or if I was lucky in a way he was just running away from the parasite. Should I copper him either way? There are no symptoms of anything yet. Ate well, nothing on skin, no rubbing and no cloudy eyes please help. What’s the next mover from here?

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 23 29.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 38.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 25.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back