Brook on clown?

G150Driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pair of clown are only fish in IM15. Purchased September 17 and quarantined per instructions on this site. Put into this tank Nov 1st. No issues since then. I’ve added some snails and hermits since and did Not quarantine those. I started dosing All for Reef to keep up with alkalinity two days ago after raising from 6.7 to 8.5.

This clown has marks on dorsal fin and pectoral fin, only on its left side. Please help me determine if these are wear and tear or something else. Under blue light it looked almost like a film, which made me think brook. Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMG_8839.jpeg
IMG_8831.jpeg
IMG_8825.jpeg
IMG_8832.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Pair of clown are only fish in IM15. Purchased September 17 and quarantined per instructions on this site. Put into this tank Nov 1st. No issues since then. I’ve added some snails and hermits since and did Not quarantine those. I started dosing All for Reef to keep up with alkalinity two days ago after raising from 6.7 to 8.5.

This clown has marks on dorsal fin and pectoral fin, only on its left side. Please help me determine if these are wear and tear or something else. Under blue light it looked almost like a film, which made me think brook. Any help is greatly appreciated!
IMG_8839.jpeg
IMG_8831.jpeg
IMG_8825.jpeg
IMG_8832.jpeg
Please post pics under white light intensity
Hard to tell if secondary lesions associated with brook or ich with blue intensity
Is breathing labored or normal?

OP
OP
G150Driver

G150Driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing and demeanor seems normal for a clownfish. Not hanging out in middle of flow, either. It was down near the bottom of the tank when I went to bed late last night, that’s all. It does twitch but mostly only when near the larger clown. They’ve always gone that.

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not seeing anything I would categorize as a diease.
There not displaying any of the usual behavior changes with parasite infections.
I’d just keep watch, if there is something, we going to see it start to take hold in the next several days.
They maybe a bit rough with one another which again, is clowns being clowns.

OP
OP
G150Driver

G150Driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They enjoy a little bdsm, for sure. Mostly playful. Thanks is for the response. I’ll keep an eye on it.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The lesion on the dorsal fin is interesting - may be mucus from an injury/sting/etc - but it looks odd, almost like a nematode of some kind - but I've never seen it before. The one lesion on the pectoral fin is also non-specific. Especially since you did. QT the fish, I agree with the others monitor for changes or worsening. Keep everyone posted.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Breathing and demeanor seems normal for a clownfish. Not hanging out in middle of flow, either. It was down near the bottom of the tank when I went to bed late last night, that’s all. It does twitch but mostly only when near the larger clown. They’ve always gone that.

With the mucus only showing up on one fish, aggression from the other clown is most likely the issue. Trouble is, you8 may never see it happen - while you are watching the fish, they are busy watching you. You can try the trick of putting up a phone to video the tank and then leave the room.

Jay

OP
OP
G150Driver

G150Driver

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the mucus only showing up on one fish, aggression from the other clown is most likely the issue. Trouble is, you8 may never see it happen - while you are watching the fish, they are busy watching you. You can try the trick of putting up a phone to video the tank and then leave the room.

Jay
Thanks, Jay. I’ll try to catch the bigger one on camera. I’ve seen them assert dominance and it’s usually the smaller one (with the marks) that’s submissive.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%
Back