Brook or Scale damage on Clownfish?

gingeramoeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys. Wondering if this is possibly Brook or some scale damage. To me, it just looks like the scales are lifted a bit BUT lfs said clownish dont have scales. I went to another lfs right after (first one didn’t have what I came there for) and figured I would ask there. They told me that clownfish do have scales and it looks like damage. Sooo, I’m confused and looking for some additional input.

I’ve had these Black Snowflake Clowns for over 3 weeks. They were a little over a year when I got them. They seem really happy and healthy. This morning I noticed a white mark on the back black section of my female and two small ones on the back of my male. It doesn’t look raised or mucousy. They are acting completely normal (no darting, no gasping or rapid breathing, no sand diving, etc.) They are ravenous eaters. I added live BBS to the tank, around the time I noticed the spots, and they went nuts for it.

Aside from them I have two other fish that were added 1 week ago: Starry Blenny and Scooter Blenny. Both of those fish have no obvious markings and are also acting and eating fine. On the day I added the Starry Blenny, him and the clowns were a little spicy towards each other but nothing serious. Just looked like establishing territory. Over the next week they seem to all tolerate each other. They get a little spicy during feeding time but, again, nothing concerning. Various inverts: pincushion urchin, sexy shrimp, pom pom crab, blue legged hermits, scarlet hermits, trochas bumblebee, and nassarius snails.

Probably TMI, but just in case:

Tank is 4 year old 29g cube. It had really high nutrients when I took it over 2 months ago (NO3 was over 200 and phos was 3.0) but I have gotten them down significantly. The tank has LPS, Mushrooms, Toadstools, Nems, and Zoas. I don’t know if it matters but one of my trachy’s almost always has its feeder tentacles out. 50% live rock, 50% dry rock that was added just before the clowns.

Params:
Alk: 10
NO2: 0.02
Amm: 0.02 (not sure why these are up as nothing has died. Possibly from the new rock?)
NO3: 39 (WC tomorrow, still slowly removing old nasty sand. Running activated carbon in sump)
P04: 1.0 (used to be much higher, still going down. Running GFO in sump)
pH: 7.9-8.1
Ca: 392
Mg: 1145

*I know my nutrients are high. I have been SLOWLY, removing detritus filled sand and it has reduced nutrients significantly. All corals and nems are healthy and fully open.

TIA

Here is a link to a video.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I do not know where brook would have come from - however did you quarantine you more recent additions? Also brook tends to start in the front and move back - your issues sound more like injury/scuffling. Unless you can show a specific lesion (picture with an arrow)?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hey guys. Wondering if this is possibly Brook or some scale damage. To me, it just looks like the scales are lifted a bit BUT lfs said clownish dont have scales. I went to another lfs right after (first one didn’t have what I came there for) and figured I would ask there. They told me that clownfish do have scales and it looks like damage. Sooo, I’m confused and looking for some additional input.

I’ve had these Black Snowflake Clowns for over 3 weeks. They were a little over a year when I got them. They seem really happy and healthy. This morning I noticed a white mark on the back black section of my female and two small ones on the back of my male. It doesn’t look raised or mucousy. They are acting completely normal (no darting, no gasping or rapid breathing, no sand diving, etc.) They are ravenous eaters. I added live BBS to the tank, around the time I noticed the spots, and they went nuts for it.

Aside from them I have two other fish that were added 1 week ago: Starry Blenny and Scooter Blenny. Both of those fish have no obvious markings and are also acting and eating fine. On the day I added the Starry Blenny, him and the clowns were a little spicy towards each other but nothing serious. Just looked like establishing territory. Over the next week they seem to all tolerate each other. They get a little spicy during feeding time but, again, nothing concerning. Various inverts: pincushion urchin, sexy shrimp, pom pom crab, blue legged hermits, scarlet hermits, trochas bumblebee, and nassarius snails.

Tank is 4 year old 29g cube. It had really high nutrients when I took it over 2 months ago (NO3 was over 200 and phos was 3.0) but I have gotten them down significantly. The tank has LPS, Mushrooms, Toadstools, Nems, and Zoas. I don’t know if it matters but one of my trachy’s almost always has its feeder tentacles out. 50% live rock, 50% dry rock that was added just before the clowns.

Params:
Amm: 0.02 (not sure why these are up as nothing has died. Possibly from the new rock?)
NO3: 39 (WC tomorrow, still slowly removing old nasty sand. Running activated carbon in sump)

*I know my nutrients are high. I have been SLOWLY, removing detritus filled sand and it has reduced nutrients significantly. All corals and nems are healthy and fully open.

TIA

This is scraping injury and should heal on its own. Assure the other clown isnt bullying it or intimidating it causing injury. This should heal on its own but keep an eye on it to assure its healing and not becoming infected.

Params:

TIA

OP
OP
gingeramoeba

gingeramoeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks.

I did not QT the new fish, they were at lfs for weeks and seemed healthy but I wish I did QT.

I’m hoping it’s just an injury from the Blenny. The male Clown is really docile and the female sometimes puts him in his place but nothing concerning. Since the female is the most affected, it’s likely from the Blenny, if it truly is an injury.

First two pick are the female. Second pic with the orange spot is the male.
IMG_8461.jpeg
IMG_8460.jpeg

IMG_8462.jpeg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"lfs said clownish dont have scales."

You need to ask your LFS what all those little bumps are on the fish in your picture? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Clownfish don't have bathroom scales, is true! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

OP
OP
gingeramoeba

gingeramoeba

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"lfs said clownish dont have scales."

You need to ask your LFS what all those little bumps are on the fish in your picture? :face-with-hand-over-mouth:

Clownfish don't have bathroom scales, is true! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:
The amount of stoopid I felt when he said that. And then had existential crisis when I relearned that they do have scales. I was all sorts of confused when I got home. I really trusted that lfs too but now I’m rethinking things. I was really about to argue with him that the “white spots” look like they are in the shape of scales but decided to take the L because I was so shocked.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 7.5%
Back