Brook? Please help

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Came home from work and he was doing this then I fed him and he ate good and then he went back to doing this again and then swam off. Really weird behavior.

It is still breathing heavy. I can’t say what is causing that though. The fins look a little cloudy also. I normally don’t suggest this, but I wonder if you should give it a five minute FW dip and then see how it is breathing 24 hours later. If the breathing improves, you can then assume some sort of gill parasite. FW dips are not 100% risk free though….
Jay

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought so too as these pellets and flakes would typically contain much higher nutritional value than frozen based on their nutritional content label. I have always used frozen more as a snack for them….

They are processed and processed food results in a higher energy gain as the body has to do less work to break it down.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Clowns are Omnivores and for best health and breeding, they require a varied diet. They will readily accept flakes, pellets, even a stick of dynamite. In their natural habitat, they consume plankton, small shrimp such as mysis and crustaceans. They require frozen and live foods such as brine shrimp, larvae, fish eggs algae and even pods. I cant count how many clowns seen that are constipated because of a total dry diet and we recommend brine shrimp to help pass the blockage. The meats also provide increased fats, aminos and nutrients required for color, breeding and immunity health found in many frozen diets.
This also accounts for why they eat their eggs. Inexperience and fear is one reason, but they also have a taste for eggs.
Flakes are a staple and convenience with some nutrition but does not complete their long-term needs. Its like feeding a child crackers all day - they need soft foods and higher vitamin based foods for complete nutrition

Good dry foods have lots of vitamins and minerals needed, as well as protein, fat, and carbs. Processed food is more energetically profitable than raw unprocessed food. I also don't know how you would know the fish got constipated from dry diets unless you did a ton of necropsies in a controlled study.

As for eating their eggs, I doubt they do that due to inexperience and fear, as that would quickly be selected against in nature.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Good dry foods have lots of vitamins and minerals needed, as well as protein, fat, and carbs. Processed food is more energetically profitable than raw unprocessed food. I also don't know how you would know the fish got constipated from dry diets unless you did a ton of necropsies in a controlled study.

As for eating their eggs, I doubt they do that due to inexperience and fear, as that would quickly be selected against in nature.
Pellets like TDO are excellent in protein content. You are arguing that this is a total diet, I agree flakes and pellets are acceptable but are not total diets and what flakes and pellets are being fed and at what protein content. You will likely Not find breeders feeding a dry staple Only to their fish. You are insisting they can eat dry only - and they need a mixture . As for constipation, 90% of clowns we see are on dry diet and it is remedied with soft foods.
They eat their eggs under stress, when eggs are diseased or non-fertile and when looking for a food source.
I attend many seminars and speak often with clown breeders and many of the presentations on clowns express this same info.
Present if you will any farms or breeders that raise their clowns on a dry diet only and it is known first foods are baby brine and rotifiers- Not flakes and pellets for an apparent reason. Look up clown diets on the web and see what the recommendations are.
Im not going to spend my Sunday arguing about flakes but having and selling clowns 3 decades - I have a clue about dietary needs. Again , im Not saying flakes and pellets are bad , but they need more

Last edited:

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pellets like TDO are excellent in protein content. You are arguing that this is a total diet, I agree flakes and pellets are acceptable but are not total diets and what flakes and pellets are being fed and at what protein content. You will likely Not find breeders feeding a dry staple Only to their fish. You are insisting they can eat dry only - and they need a mixture . As for constipation, 90% of clowns we see are on dry diet and it is remedied with soft foods.
They eat their eggs under stress, when eggs are diseased or non-fertile and when looking for a food source.
I attend many seminars and speak often with clown breeders and many of the presentations on clowns express this same info.
Present if you will any farms or breeders that raise their clowns on a dry diert only and it is known first foods are baby brine and rotifiers- Not flakes and pellets for an apparent reason. Look up clown diets on the web and see what the recommendations are.
Im not going to spend my Sunday arguing about flakes but having and selling clowns 3 decades - I have a clue about dietary needs. Again , im Not saying flakes and pellets are bad , but they need more
Why do they get constipation? Is it cuz the food is too dry? Or is it bc it’s too processed? Or maybe it’s cuz they don’t contain veggies.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Why do they get constipation? Is it cuz the food is too dry? Or is it bc it’s too processed? Or maybe it’s cuz they don’t contain veggies.
You sort of answered- Content and preservatives that keep the food dry

Here is a couple of links that describe clown diet - Cant confirm credible sources but both have same basis and recommendations. Everyone entitled to feed what they want.

OP
OP
Is this the LFS

Is this the LFS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is still breathing heavy. I can’t say what is causing that though. The fins look a little cloudy also. I normally don’t suggest this, but I wonder if you should give it a five minute FW dip and then see how it is breathing 24 hours later. If the breathing improves, you can then assume some sort of gill parasite. FW dips are not 100% risk free though….
Jay
I actually did do a freshwater dip a couple of days ago. Didn’t seem to do much for him

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did do a freshwater dip a couple of days ago. Didn’t seem to do much for him

There are a few diseases that cause rapid breathing, but are little known and there is no treatment for them - coccidia and microsporidians. How does it look today?

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back