Brooklynella in DT

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished cycling display and moved in pair of clowns and couple of other fish from my observation tank last night. Fish were in observation QT for 30 days, no sign of disease, nothing. No medication was used.

12 hours later, one clown is showing symptoms of brooklynella. Disaster.

It's next to impossible to catch any fish out of display and I already have a batch of new fish swimming in my quarantine.

It's fish only tank, so I am up for non-reef safe treatments. Medications recommend mediations that are not available here. Have some metroplex on the way, but could take few days as it's stuck in customs.
Closest I could get in LFS is NT Labs anti-bacterial which is acriflavine and formaldehyde mixture. Have couple of bottles of this. I also have pure acriflavine.
Another option to try is peroxide dosing?

What should I do,needless to say not much time, have to act now.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Finished cycling display and moved in pair of clowns and couple of other fish from my observation tank last night. Fish were in observation QT for 30 days, no sign of disease, nothing. No medication was used.

12 hours later, one clown is showing symptoms of brooklynella. Disaster.

It's next to impossible to catch any fish out of display and I already have a batch of new fish swimming in my quarantine.

It's fish only tank, so I am up for non-reef safe treatments. Medications recommend mediations that are not available here. Have some metroplex on the way, but could take few days as it's stuck in customs.
Closest I could get in LFS is NT Labs anti-bacterial which is acriflavine and formaldehyde mixture. Have couple of bottles of this. I also have pure acriflavine.
Another option to try is peroxide dosing?

What should I do,needless to say not much time, have to act now.

Welcome to Reef2Reef -

Are you positive of your diagnosis? You can post a video if you want a second opinion.

The composition of The NT Labs product is very similar to Ruby Reef Rally Pro. That is used in the US to treat Brooklynella, although it is not as good as formalin baths at higher doses.

Chloroquine would work, but that is difficult to source.

I'd skip peroxide dosing.

Jay

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef -

Are you positive of your diagnosis? You can post a video if you want a second opinion.

The composition of The NT Labs product is very similar to Ruby Reef Rally Pro. That is used in the US to treat Brooklynella, although it is not as good as formalin baths at higher doses.

Jay
Jay,

I will try to take a video, I'm after spending half hour today trying to take a picture, but it doesn't do the justice. Fish in question is hidding in the rock work where levels of light are low so can't really show symptoms.
Its on one side only and looks like thin cotton, almost snot like.

Attachments

• 20231116_090920.jpg
    20231116_090920.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 55

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Jay,

I will try to take a video, I'm after spending half hour today trying to take a picture, but it doesn't do the justice. Fish in question is hidding in the rock work where levels of light are low so can't really show symptoms.
Its on one side only and looks like thin cotton, almost snot like.
If I see correctly, there is a light buildup of mucus in the facial area which may be early stage brook
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
Often you will see heavy breathing starting, loss of appetite and lethargic behavior as well as hiding
Typical treatment is a formalin based medication which is scarce
Ruby rally pro is an alternative but takes a little longer to take effect and is reef safe

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I see correctly, there is a light buildup of mucus in the facial area which may be early stage brook
Is fish eating and breathing normal?
Often you will see heavy breathing starting, loss of appetite and lethargic behavior as well as hiding
Typical treatment is a formalin based medication which is scarce
Ruby rally pro is an alternative but takes a little longer to take effect and is reef safe
It is hidding all time, does not hangout with female clown. Too early to tell about feeding, but breathing normally and no loss in energy so far

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
It is hidding all time, does not hangout with female clown. Too early to tell about feeding, but breathing normally and no loss in energy so far
Add reef safe ruby rally pro to tank as a safeguard and maintain good water quality

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update:
Within few hours second clown showed white spots. Right away I have then dosed 2 bottles of NT labs anti bacterial with extra shot of acriflavine for a good measure. That should have gave me 70g of acriflavine in 150 gallons of water.

Yesterday there was no sign of white spots, but fish were hidding and won't feed.

This morning I have managed to catch one clown as it was letargic, no white spots on him.

What I have noticed that both clowns have a bulging eye, left eye on both. Yesterday o had a bright torch on them from that side trying to take a picture, I wonder does that caused the injury?

I am planning now to give 30 min of 6% acriflavine bath to a clown I have managed to catch.
Iss that good idea?

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef -

Jay
Managed to catch second fish, under lights it does look like disease is still there
See video, can you I'd please

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Managed to catch second fish, under lights it does look like disease is still there
See video, can you I'd please

That looks like Brooklynella or late stage marine ich. Chloroquine would work for both, but is difficult to source (I think in Ireland it is called Aralen?).

Is the NT Labs product showing any benefit?

Jay

OP
OP
M

mandzhalas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like Brooklynella or late stage marine ich. Chloroquine would work for both, but is difficult to source (I think in Ireland it is called Aralen?).

Is the NT Labs product showing any benefit?

Jay
Would itch show up in these quantities this quick? I have been observing them for 30 days, it wasn't a single speck on them...

Regards NT labs stuff, it did help to remove "fluffy stuff" but that's it... I have ran out of it, so can't dose further at the moment

I am after giving both of them 90 min acriflavine bath and put in isolated hospital tank. I have metroplex on the way, should be here in 3 days if they last that long.

Also ordered formalin, should be here in a week.

So in a week I should have all of these:
Copper power
Metroplex
Acriflavine
Methylene blue
Malachite
Formalin
Fenbendazole
Prazipro

What would you suggested to try with above?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would itch show up in these quantities this quick? I have been observing them for 30 days, it wasn't a single speck on them...

Regards NT labs stuff, it did help to remove "fluffy stuff" but that's it... I have ran out of it, so can't dose further at the moment

I am after giving both of them 90 min acriflavine bath and put in isolated hospital tank. I have metroplex on the way, should be here in 3 days if they last that long.

Also ordered formalin, should be here in a week.

So in a week I should have all of these:
Copper power
Metroplex
Acriflavine
Methylene blue
Malachite
Formalin
Fenbendazole
Prazipro

What would you suggested to try with above?

Do you know the concentration of the acriflavine bath? You might be able to use that to buy you some time.

Skip the malachite green and methylene blue. Those are old school dyes and do not have a lot of applications against marine fish diseases, malachite green can also be toxic.

Copper power works well for ich, get the level to 2.25 ppm right away though.
Formalin, as a 150 ppm, one hour dip and then as a constant 25 ppm bath will work for Brooklynella.

Jay

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 55 32.2%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 46 26.9%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 56 32.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.7%
Back