Brooklynella?

Mr.Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I posted a thread yesterday asking what it was and a got brooklynella but just like 2 things don’t match up he’s not breathing hard, lethargic, and he’s going after food. plus I have other fish in the tank that show no signs of anything but i am still going to treat it like brooknella one question though if I remove the clownfish and put him in a quarantine tank do I need to take out the other fish even if the show no signs of it.

59EE715B-A2B9-4AB2-BA8C-3FBD3FA7E091.jpeg 13FC94F0-ED6A-43E8-8BEB-88BB47E55560.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I posted a thread yesterday asking what it was and a got brooklynella but just like 2 things don’t match up he’s not breathing hard, lethargic, and he’s going after food. plus I have other fish in the tank that show no signs of anything but i am still going to treat it like brooknella one question though if I remove the clownfish and put him in a quarantine tank do I need to take out the other fish even if the show no signs of it.

59EE715B-A2B9-4AB2-BA8C-3FBD3FA7E091.jpeg 13FC94F0-ED6A-43E8-8BEB-88BB47E55560.jpeg
Yes it is.
The most significant sign is the amount of slime on its body. The thick mucus on its body is a second sign which is noticeable on the fish. This mucus generally starts at the facial area as well as gills and spreads across the body producing lesions as it progresses often confused with ich and can turn into secondary bacteria. Other symptoms will be lethargic behavior, refusing to eat and heavy breathing from the mucus.
Typical treatment is a formalin solution is mixed with in a separate container with either fresh or saltwater. Start with a quick dip in the formalin at a higher concentration then performing treatment in a prolonged bath of formalin base at a lower concentration in a quarantine tank. The longer the fish are exposed to the formalin treatment the more effective it will be at eliminating this issue.
If a formalin solution is not available for immediate use, temporary relief can be achieved by giving the fish a FW bath or dip in water same temperature as display tank. Even though this treatment will not cure the disease, it can help to remove some of the parasites, as well as reduce the amount of mucus in the gills to assist with respiration problems.
Treatment is best done in a QT tank using either quick cure (more effective) or Ruby Rally Pro. Ruby takes a little longer and initial treatment generally takes 2-3 days to really start going to work.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you suspect brook in your tank then all fish need treatment in QT and the tank needs to fallow for at least 45 to 76 days.

OP
OP
M

Mr.Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright thanks for the replies any tips on how to catch the watchmen goby and linear blenny

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
alright thanks for the replies any tips on how to catch the watchmen goby and linear blenny
Four to six weeks is sufficient for fallow as its a kidney bean shaped parasite and is at or within gills and not as long lived as ich parasite. 76 days was old rule for ich - not brook
Follow the treatment mentioned above- fish will be good to go

Last edited:

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am not sure why when someone posts multiple posts - with multiple answers - this is not caught. BTW - based on the picture shown - there is a slight - and it is slight - thicker mucus - but - Its IMHO - not clear that it's Brooklynella. I would suggest - based on the picture I've seen - that (except for statistics) - anyone claiming this is brooklynella - is reacting only on odds - and answering questions quickly - without getting an adequate history. Fact is - no one - including @Jay Hemdal could diagnose Brooklynella on those pictures. But - go ahead - do formalin, etc. all good

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe you have posted multiple threads. As @vetteguy53081 said earlier this week - there is no real for multiple threads. Please - stop posting multiple areas - with different information - the best way to get information IMHO - is to post your problem and wait for answers. IMHO - this is not brooklynella - based on the picture - I believe I said - there was excess mucus - and asked you more questions when you asked 'why is my clown acting weird'

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am not sure why when someone posts multiple posts - with multiple answers - this is not caught. BTW - based on the picture shown - there is a slight - and it is slight - thicker mucus - but - Its IMHO - not clear that it's Brooklynella. I would suggest - based on the picture I've seen - that (except for statistics) - anyone claiming this is brooklynella - is reacting only on odds - and answering questions quickly - without getting an adequate history. Fact is - no one - including @Jay Hemdal could diagnose Brooklynella on those pictures. But - go ahead - do formalin, etc. all good
Jay and myself cannot diagnose brook ? Interesting.
Look at mucus and look at skin and then consider behaviors

Here is a bigger pic of this clown and skin issues

1665685085509.png

@Jay Hemdal

OP
OP
M

Mr.Storm

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe you have posted multiple threads. As @vetteguy53081 said earlier this week - there is no real for multiple threads. Please - stop posting multiple areas - with different information - the best way to get information IMHO - is to post your problem and wait for answers. IMHO - this is not brooklynella - based on the picture - I believe I said - there was excess mucus - and asked you more questions when you asked 'why is my clown acting weird'
My bad I did not realize posting multiple threads asking similar questions was bad but this time I was asking if the way I was proceeding is right and a few more questions and if you read the One you responded to yesterday I never said it was acting weird I said it looked weird and I just got back from vacation and going on the little info I have but to answer your questions in the last thread He is not acting weird I have had him for a week everything in the tank is kinda shy so I can’t imagine him being bullied but I’ll watch and see if he is he was not quarantined and that’s all the info I have atm

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jay and myself cannot diagnose brook ? Interesting.
Look at mucus and look at skin and then consider behaviors

Here is a bigger pic of this clown and skin issues

1665685085509.png

@Jay Hemdal
Ok - so the truth is - every time a clown has an illness - it's considered - brooklynella. By you and others. Based on these pictures and the limited history - I cannot. I do not just 'play the odds' as some do - I try to get more information. This fish has multiple nipped/damaged fins - that would not be caused by brooklynella.

This is a quote from the OP: "a got brooklynella but just like 2 things don’t match up he’s not breathing hard, lethargic, and he’s going after food"

Maybe I'm hallucinating - I did not see that @Jay Hemdal said the fish has Brooklynella. Instead - I said just based on the history and the pictures - even @Jay Hemdal could not diagnose brooklynella - thats what I said - thats what I think. What exactly is your issue with this post? It's a rhetorical question. Every clown does not have brook. Every clown with mucus excess does not IMHO have brook.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@MnFish1 i am wondering if you don’t think it is brook what do you think it is?
This is what I said initially: "BTW - based on the picture shown - there is a slight - and it is slight - thicker mucus - but - Its IMHO - not clear that it's Brooklynella. I would suggest - based on the picture I've seen - that (except for statistics) - anyone claiming this is brooklynella - is reacting only on odds - and answering questions quickly - without getting an adequate history"

I would Suggest you go to this link - and as I asked for in the originally post I made - 'give more history'. It could be brook - if you want to treat it with formaldehyde - all good.
HOW TO ASK FOR DISEASE DIAGNOSIS HELP LINK

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 32.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back