Broomtail Wrasse, 1st time seeing it in person

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always known this wrasse from seeing YouTube videos but never seen one in person but today was different. I got to see both the male and female for the 1st time. I have to say those videos and mine do not do justice for them. Male was prob 12” long and it had a beautiful deep emerald green and dark blue or black body…., and some accent yellow marks on his fins. Female wasn’t as big but it had pink spots all over her face. This male has been sold already for a good penny. Just wanted to share & see if there are ppl on this forum who has kept this before and what the experience is like.

Last edited:

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have always known this wrasse from seeing YouTube videos but never seen one in person but today was different. I got to see both the male and female for the 1st time. I have to say those videos and mine do not do justice for them. Male was prob 12” long and it had a beautiful deep emerald green and dark blue or black body…., and some accent yellow marks on his fins. Female wasn’t as big but it had pink spots all over her face. This male has been sold already for a good penny. Just wanted to share & see if there are ppl on this forum who has kept this before and what the experience is like.
I can say I have never seen one of those fish in person before!

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool!
My LFS has a beautiful big one
IMG_7645.jpeg

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish but I think its $850 and I only have a 125 gallon. It would need a much bigger tank I think.
I’m thinking about getting the female but my exp with the red breasted wrasse which I believe is similar tells me that it could be timid and not compete well with my established big fish.

OP
OP
sc50964

sc50964

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can say I have never seen one of those fish in person before!
I think it’s only from Red Sea so maybe our water needs to have a slightly higher salinity to keep them good long term?

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m thinking about getting the female but my exp with the red breasted wrasse which I believe is similar tells me that it could be timid and not compete well with my established big fish.
Yeah, surprisingly timid. My two spot was bullied by a smalled falco hawkfish. My friend at the Georgia aquarium tells me that the humpheads are quite aggressive though so it could probably go either way.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 136 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back