Brown Algae / Diatoms in new system

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank has been cycling for about 2-3 weeks. I've got a reducing amount of ammonia but high nitrite and nitrates still. So there is some work to be done still. Obviously not stocked.

In the last week I've had a massive outbreak of brown algae (possible Diatoms)

1) Is this Diatoms from the photos?
2) Should I try remove it?
3) Is this worse than it should be? (looks worse than the photos suggest)
4) Should I do anything now or just wait for the cycle to finish

file-1 (3).jpeg

file1.jpeg

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens to all new systems. Mine is 3 months old and I got diatoms within the first month, algae next, and now I'm spotting some cyano. The diatoms will eventually go away. Its part of the "uglies" all new tanks go through. You could turn your lights off since you don't have any corals or fish yet.

Reefpuck

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank will go through several phases. I had diatom blooms, then cyano, then algae...and eventually it all comes into balance (assuming you're taking care of your tank...water changes...etc).

Nothing to worry about. Just leave it. A few hermits/snails running around wouldn't hurt.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
can hermits go in if you're looking to do coral at some point?

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It happens to all new systems. Mine is 3 months old and I got diatoms within the first month, algae next, and now I'm spotting some cyano. The diatoms will eventually go away. Its part of the "uglies" all new tanks go through. You could turn your lights off since you don't have any corals or fish yet.

Your tank will go through several phases. I had diatom blooms, then cyano, then algae...and eventually it all comes into balance (assuming you're taking care of your tank...water changes...etc).

Nothing to worry about. Just leave it. A few hermits/snails running around wouldn't hurt.

okay, half a week on and it's 3-4 times worse.

When should this start to turn around?

Ammonia has dropped, nitrites still very high (5ppm) and nitrates about (10ppm).

Should I do anything so it doesn't get to a point of not coming back? (water change, clean glass with scrubber etc)

mich2599

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, half a week on and it's 3-4 times worse.

When should this start to turn around?

Ammonia has dropped, nitrites still very high (5ppm) and nitrates about (10ppm).

Should I do anything so it doesn't get to a point of not coming back? (water change, clean glass with scrubber etc)

It’s only the beginning. Don’t do anything will clear up by itself once it uses all the nutrients it’s using to grow.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s only the beginning. Don’t do anything will clear up by itself once it uses all the nutrients it’s using to grow.

I'm getting very nervous at the amount of brown algae growing now and time it's taking to having nitrites move into nitrates.

When should I see nitrites drop and nitrates increase and also these algae start to disappear

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This hobby takes time I know it may seem like your tank is crashing and you want to clean everything up and start over. Trust me I do the same thing. I’m actually going through a hell a diatom outbreak, ich outbreak, and some sort of purple hair like algae stuff (thought it was cyano but not sure). Just keep up with water changes and testing your parameters. You’ll get there, and when you do something else will happen. It’s part of reefing. If it was an easy hobby everyone would be doing it

My tank was spotless 2 weeks ago and now it’s looking rough but it’ll cycle itself back with regular maintenance.

04F9E465-4AC9-4DF1-A5BA-D8699CFB88E4.jpeg

7A528184-34F4-4FD1-951B-077B992C601D.jpeg

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just keep up with water changes and testing your parameters.

Water changes? I’ve done none as this is what I’ve read and understood.

My tank is new and unstocked!

Still testing every 2-3 days and recording results

Deiblerj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water changes? I’ve done none as this is what I’ve read and understood.

My tank is new and unstocked!

Still testing every 2-3 days and recording results

I was making a general comment. After your tank is cycled you’re still going to have periods of uglies. It’s part of the process until your tank is matured which can take quite some time.

You are correct let you tank finish it’s cycle and get a good CUC ready to go.

OP
OP
K

kiwis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay.... I'm in no hurry per say, I'm just getting concerned with the number of brown algae. I hope the system can recover.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 91 75.8%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back