Brown algae growing on corals

stan255

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 20, 2021
Messages
54
Reaction score
17
Location
Melbourne, Australia
What state or country do you live in
Australia
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brown algae growing on some of my corals - red monti and a soft coral.

I can blow some off with a turkey baster but some are pretty stubborn. I tried brushing them off and it didn’t really work.

ID please and any suggestions on how to get rid of them? I don’t think they are dinos and they aren’t stringy.

IMG_9345.jpeg IMG_9344.jpeg
 
Both monti's and leathers like higher flow area's to help them shed and keep clean. Algae will not grow on living coral, so I suspect that part of the coral may be dead. But its hard to see it clearly in the pics, can you try to get better clearer pics?
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 9 5.4%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 13 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 16.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 57 33.9%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 11 6.5%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 26 15.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 12 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new