Brown algae with bubbles

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

TimothyJ91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the heck is this? I started dosing carbon today. My levels are nitrates 0 phosphates 0 ammonia O my lights run for 6.5 hours. I do not have a clean up crew because my wrasse eats everything. I’m trading the wrasse in for a clean up crew Saturday. Also, thinking on doing 3 days of darkness starting tomorrow. Thoughts anyone?

a7db29a45aee8f28c945d0262fd6d447.jpg

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also think it's beginning stages of Dino's but hard to tell without a sample under the microscope. Algae produce O2 and trap bubbles also, making it a little harder to identify.

If you see long strings develop, my bet would be on Dino 100%.

Heads up - you posted on Algae Barn vendor forum. Might get more eyes on it if moved to correct section.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a friend or access to a microscope? Looks like dinos, which would thrive in the zero nitrates and phosphates. The carbon dosing could have caused a sudden change in chemistry and let them take the opportunity to start taking over. You need a positive microscope identification. If it is dinos, you need to know which kind and to address it asap.

bansheeGrl10

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,
I have had great experience with dosing phytoplankton into tanks as a form to combat Dinoflagelletes. Often times, rather than attacking the Dino population directly, the most effective way to combat an outbreak of Dino is to go after its food source - nitrates and phosphates.

Using our OceanMagik phytoplankton will do an awesome job of out competing the Dino in your tank, and will thereby starve the pest.
One of our writers wrote an article about this very topic that you may find relevant, and here is a link to his article:

https://www.algaebarn.com/blog/phyt...croalgae-to-control-nuisance-dinoflagellates/

I hope this information is helpful, and please let me know if there is anything else I can help you with!

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.5%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.6%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 47 35.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back