brown algae

NewGoby

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

I'm currently having a minor issue with brown algae appearing in my tank on the sand, glass and rock.

I believe it has either to do with phosphates or my lighting.

I'm already running a phosphate reducer called Rowa Phos, alongside 2 other ways of filtering (regular filter floss and active carbon) in the tank, but the rowa phos since 2 days ago to reduce the phosphates, but am starting to consider that it may also be lighting

I'm currently running Easy LED lighting for Marine Life, for 12h hours a day at 100% strength, but I believe this may be too much.

Does anyone have any experience running Easy LED Lighting?
How long should I keep my lights on for, and at what maximum % of strength?

The tank has been up & running since early february, all corals seem to be displaying nicely.

The size of the tank (LxDxH):
60 cm x 30cm x 33 cm

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Few things...

First, algae is part of the early stages in a tank... a rite of passage.
Second, you need consumers since you will always have even a trace of phosphate and also will always need light
Third, even a very minimal amount of phosphate is not growth limiting
Fourth, all light will grow algae
Fifth, a huge dose of patience will probably be the best cure here

If your tank has stabilized in the ammonia and nitrite area, then look to get some snails to help out. Most of the early-tank algae will disappear on it's own, but if you started with a bunch of dry and dead rock, then this can get trickier.

By running rowa on a new tank, you are inhibiting the tank from growing beneficial bacteria and stuff. Most people generally set back their progress in at-least like time by interfering early in the tank cycle. Letting phosphate climb a bit and also letting nitrate climb, is what fuels the growth and expansion of anoxic bacteria to lower those things. I would stop the rowa, keep up on your regular water changes and let nature work some stuff out for a while.

I do not think that your lights are any issue towards the algae growth.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back