Brown diatoms on my rock

CammyS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brown algae (or diatoms if you prefer) on my rock. I have no livestock in the tank yet and I’m not sure how it’s happening. I’m running Chemipure elite and I have two Koralia Nanos on each side. My temperature is at 76 degree Fahrenheit. I’m using an aqueon canopy lid with the light that came with it. I have had my whites on for 8 hours a day running from 9 am to 5 pm and my blues for the rest of the time. Is this brown algae bad for my tank?

Malifry97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have brown algae (or diatoms if you prefer) on my rock. I have no livestock in the tank yet and I’m not sure how it’s happening. I’m running Chemipure elite and I have two Koralia Nanos on each side. My temperature is at 76 degree Fahrenheit. I’m using an aqueon canopy lid with the light that came with it. I have had my whites on for 8 hours a day running from 9 am to 5 pm and my blues for the rest of the time. Is this brown algae bad for my tank?
Nope. It will pass. Part of the new tank baddies. One question. Are you using RO,RODI or tap water. Diatoms are caused by silicates and phosphates. Tap water often contains these. If your tap had high concentrations, chemipure elite won’t remove all of it.

OP
OP
C

CammyS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope. It will pass. Part of the new tank baddies. One question. Are you using RO,RODI or tap water. Diatoms are caused by silicates and phosphates. Tap water often contains these. If your tap had high concentrations, chemipure elite won’t remove all of it.
I’m using RO/DI water that I make myself. I just know that it’s been covering the top of my rocks near the surface and a little bit has gotten on the sand. I’ve been doing my normal water changes and figured that maybe I had been something wrong.

OP
OP
C

CammyS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
image.jpg

this is the tank now. I’ve been told this is diatoms but I’m honestly not sure.

OP
OP
C

CammyS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm... I don’t know then. What type of sand did you use? What type of rock? Some types of rock and leach silicates and phosphates.
I used caribsea Bahama oolite sand and dry rock when I put the tank together.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 25 51.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 10 20.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 4.1%
Back