Brown dusting on sand and rocks help

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had really bad green hair algae, so for the past 6 weeks ive been using Vibrant. It has done away with all the GHA, and even some bubble algae. But now Ive got a brown dusting all over my sand and rocks. I can blow it off with a turkey baster, but next day its back. It dosent have bubbles in it, and its not stringy or slimey, so Im pretty sure its not dinos. What could it be, and how can I get rid of it? At this point Id rather have some of the GHA back then looking at brown sand all day. I guess you cant win for losing lol.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had really bad green hair algae, so for the past 6 weeks ive been using Vibrant. It has done away with all the GHA, and even some bubble algae. But now Ive got a brown dusting all over my sand and rocks. I can blow it off with a turkey baster, but next day its back. It dosent have bubbles in it, and its not stringy or slimey, so Im pretty sure its not dinos. What could it be, and how can I get rid of it? At this point Id rather have some of the GHA back then looking at brown sand all day. I guess you cant win for losing lol.
Diatoms? How old is your tank? size? flow? can you post a picture of your whole tank? parameters?

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Photos?

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 2 years. 40 breeder, Jebao sow 4 wavemaker, reef octopus bh100 hang on skimmer. Ph 8, salinity 1.025, nitrate 10-15, Just soft coral tank, and fish. Some pictures you can see the brown on the sand.

DSCN0659.JPG
DSCN0660.JPG
DSCN0661.JPG
DSCN0662.JPG
DSCN0663.JPG

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is 2 years. 40 breeder, Jebao sow 4 wavemaker, reef octopus bh100 hang on skimmer. Ph 8, salinity 1.025, nitrate 10-15, Just soft coral tank, and fish. Some pictures you can see the brown on the sand.

DSCN0659.JPG
DSCN0660.JPG
DSCN0661.JPG
DSCN0662.JPG
DSCN0663.JPG
Looks more like cyano to me, is it a reddish brown hue? Somewhat like this?
The red is cyano the brown is diatoms. Both of them have just vanished out of nowhere.
004C0916-1AFA-4694-A8D2-FADA14F66B11.jpeg

A070BF51-C897-4C15-A861-4D31F42561A0.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks like cyano bacteria. Chemiclean can work if you have an airstone and pump. Red Cyano RX also helps.
I have found these to not work and it to just die off ovet time. Constant water changes and something to predate on them are best for them. I would recommend staying on the safe side and going for Cerith snails, and if you have room then one of the Koumansetta gobies are excellent eaters (I own Hectori)

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 one that in the photos it does kind of look like cyano. How long since you have discontinued vibrant? I would be careful throwing in more chemicals to deal with it just yet. It could lead to other issues. Can you try vacuuming it up with a water change? Do you know what your phosphates are?

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
remember, Vibrant is NOT bottled bac, its just algicide. be careful with it.

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do disappear at night, I stopped Vibrant a week ago. I cant keep the tiny cerith snails, my wrasse eats them. I vaccumed a layer of sand the other day, and it worked for about a day then came back.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like cyano to me, is it a reddish brown hue? Somewhat like this?
The red is cyano the brown is diatoms. Both of them have just vanished out of nowhere.
004C0916-1AFA-4694-A8D2-FADA14F66B11.jpeg

A070BF51-C897-4C15-A861-4D31F42561A0.jpeg
Actually I think this is when my 20g tank was being attacked by every unwanted algae/bacteria you could name all at once. I mean the photo shows Diatoms, Cyano, GHA, I was also suffering a strange green algae/bacteria aswell as a huge film outbreak in the back wall with something else. The whole lot just vanished out of nowhere one day, I think the hectori worked its magic on the algae/bacteria but all I know is the Cyano DIDNT stand a chance on the sand Ed with that guy in the tank.

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They do disappear at night, I stopped Vibrant a week ago. I cant keep the tiny cerith snails, my wrasse eats them. I vaccumed a layer of sand the other day, and it worked for about a day then came back.
UV filter will help, in the meantime does Microbacter7/clean or Dr tims eco balance/waste away

SlugSnorter

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually I think this is when my 20g tank was being attacked by every unwanted algae/bacteria you could name all at once. I mean the photo shows Diatoms, Cyano, GHA, I was also suffering a strange green algae/bacteria aswell as a huge film outbreak in the back wall with something else. The whole lot just vanished out of nowhere one day, I think the hectori worked its magic on the algae/bacteria but all I know is the Cyano DIDNT stand a chance on the sand Ed with that guy in the tank.
hectors and jesters pick at cyano, I don't think enough to completely purge a tank though

OP
OP
hawk82

hawk82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So whats my best option here? Air stone and chemiclean, or should I run to petco and pick up a Green killing machine UV, and use microbacter7?

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 14 21.2%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 50 75.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.0%
Back