Brown fuzzy polyp like algae?

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone know what type of algae this is? Its a fuzzy brown polyp type algae with a branching root system that spreads quite fast. The polyps retract when disturbed. They like to grow on rocks, but if near glass it would also latch on and start spreading. Theres no getting rid of this and they seem to survive the toughest environment (30c+ water, only ambient lighting from room). I can only keep them in check by manually removing it every now and then when they get too out of hand and shade too much of my corals. The easiest way to is to get an airline tube, or a small diameter tube to create a syphon, suck the algae through the tube, and blocking the tube with my finger with the algae at the mouth of the tube and pull. It leave some of the more stubborn roots behind and over a few weeks it will come back.

I know it’s a shot in the dark, but hope someone here knows how to get rid of them permanently.
1697601389008.png

Derrick0580

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure what it is called but there is some chemical you can put in your tank that targets them.

OP
OP
disaster999

disaster999

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like Hydroids.
Ive been fighting against Acrossota amboinensis and I promise, you cant win this fight.
U gotta remove the rock
Yeah I figured. Ive asked across a lot of forums for years and no one seem to 1. know what it is, 2. know how to get rid of it.

Ive just been manually removing it every now and then to keep it in check. Sure I could remove the rocks where the hydroids are growing on, but not really an option if the rock also have corals encrusted onto it. The bubble gum digi in my picture have hydroids growing on parts where the digi had died previously. I either have to frag the entire colony and remove part of the coral bone infested with the hydroids, or smother the hydroids with glue.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 30 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 111 58.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.3%
Back