Brown gunk in saltwater holding container

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure this is the right category, but I have a a couple 5 gallon water jugs one for rodi and one for saltwater. They're the typical squarish water jugs a lot of lfs's carry. The one I only use for rodi is just like new, but the one I use for saltwater has a brownish film on the bottom. Anyone have a clue what it is or what may have caused it and what I should do to get rid of it?

I use rodi water and IO salt...

TIA

dragon99

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you using regular IO or reef crystals? I've read several people had problems with that brown stuff with reef crystals. It's apparently a clay or something that's part of the salt mix that builds up in the holding containers.

OP
OP
Coastie Reefer

Coastie Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Plain ole IO salt. Doesn't seem to be causing an issues that I can detect just pretty unsightly. Looks like a tea stained glass...

Eggyoke

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had the same issue with the Red Sea coral pro with the bottom part of the bucket. I've always used a 7 gallon water bucket and never really seen what the water looked like until the last time I mixed water. I used a a tub and noticed the salt mix didn't totally dissolve. Brown junk on the bottom and sides of the bucket. I tested the water, salinity was 1.026 but calcium and alkalinity was low. I just started a new batch from a new bucket and everything is nice and clear. I think the the finer material fall to the bottom and is the culprit if the brown material. I could be wrong but I'm going with, use smaller bags/buckets of salt mix or don't use the bottom portion of salt mixes.

Making themselves at home: Have you intentionally done anything in your aquarium to enhance the natural behavior of your fish?

• I planned my tank to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • I did some things to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Anything that encourages natural fish behavior was a byproduct of the aquascaping.

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • I did not do anything to encourage natural fish behavior.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 4.5%
Back