Brown hair algae problem help!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

andyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello ! Hopefully someone can help me, i had a cyno problem prior to this as soon as i got rid of the cyno this started to overgrow. I went to get a icp water test i posted the results bellow along with pictures of my tank and my light schedule. Maybe someone can guid me to finding the root of the problem.

I use RODI 0 tds water confirmed.

Thank you!!

4897E78D-43C4-4C4A-AEF4-480EEE439102.jpeg
7487E1FB-9F02-4358-AEAF-4CD06CCE2B8C.png
3ECE0E0B-22C2-4F11-A7A5-DEB0D25E976B.png
6F37D5C8-76FD-4E1B-B133-4B389BA4B9EE.png

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest one right off the bat would be the zeroing out of phosphates. What are your nitrates ? When you zero out your phosphates and or nitrates is what set you up to getting cyano bacteria which after cyano comes Dino’s , not sure by the pics that that’s what you have . I would take pics and a sample and take it to a local reef store and have them identify what it is and then they can recommend a treatment path .

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The biggest one right off the bat would be the zeroing out of phosphates. What are your nitrates ? When you zero out your phosphates and or nitrates is what set you up to getting cyano bacteria which after cyano comes Dino’s , not sure by the pics that that’s what you have . I would take pics and a sample and take it to a local reef store and have them identify what it is and then they can recommend a treatment path .
Seconded. Manual removal daily, add beneficial bacteria of your choice to even things out again and aim for measurable phosphates. What are your nitrates, and how much flow and overturn do you have?

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seconded. Manual removal daily, add beneficial bacteria of your choice to even things out again and aim for measurable phosphates. What are your nitrates, and how much flow and overturn do you have?
Also would be beneficial to run a UV light

OP
OP
andyreef

andyreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey! I never got notified you responded

nitrates are 2.5 currently and i have excellent flow throughout the tank due to mixed reef, funny enough the algea seems to grow longer in stronger flow areas.

According to my local pet store the reason for my algae problem is due to the low iodine and minerals.

I blacked out my tank for 3 days and it made a major difference, prior to the blackout i could not detect nitrate either.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back