Brown Jelly Disease - Goniopora help.

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 or so weeks ago, I bought a beautiful Goniopora at a pretty reputable lfs here in Arizona. It appeared to be very full and healthy. $100 later, I’m at home acclimating the coral and placing it on the bottom of my tank, setting in the sand. I’ve successfully had gonis in the past thriving and growing on the sandbed. For the past two weeks the coral looked good overall. Three days ago I noticed a small section of the coral skeleton exposed in the center of the coral. A small amount of coral tissue was separated from the skeleton as well. How and when that got there, I don’t know. Two nights ago I noticed 2 pea sized chunks of brown jelly. I immediately syphoned them off with a turkey baster.
Today I’m wondering exactly what I should do.
1. Will it heal itself with time?
2. Should I dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide?
3. Should I get rid of it?
4. Your experience and success with this issue is my next move. Thanks.
IMG_4640.jpeg

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So 2 or so weeks ago, I bought a beautiful Goniopora at a pretty reputable lfs here in Arizona. It appeared to be very full and healthy. $100 later, I’m at home acclimating the coral and placing it on the bottom of my tank, setting in the sand. I’ve successfully had gonis in the past thriving and growing on the sandbed. For the past two weeks the coral looked good overall. Three days ago I noticed a small section of the coral skeleton exposed in the center of the coral. A small amount of coral tissue was separated from the skeleton as well. How and when that got there, I don’t know. Two nights ago I noticed 2 pea sized chunks of brown jelly. I immediately syphoned them off with a turkey baster.
Today I’m wondering exactly what I should do.
1. Will it heal itself with time?
2. Should I dip it in Hydrogen Peroxide?
3. Should I get rid of it?
4. Your experience and success with this issue is my next move. Thanks.
IMG_4640.jpeg
I’d dip it and also move it off of the sand. You’ve not lost enough of the coral to lose it altogether yet.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based upon experience with corals is seems like something might be nipping at this coral?

Look for the thread experimenting with BJD and CIPRO treatments. My experience with BJD has been limited because once I learned how to treat I reacted quickly (immediately) with CIPRO and nipped the disease in the bud. Never had any luck dipping iodine or other treatments, but a CIPRO dip would be the weakest response I would try if I wanted to save this coral and other lps in my system. GL.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Based upon experience with corals is seems like something might be nipping at this coral?

Look for the thread experimenting with BJD and CIPRO treatments. My experience with BJD has been limited because once I learned how to treat I reacted quickly (immediately) with CIPRO and nipped the disease in the bud. Never had any luck dipping iodine or other treatments, but a CIPRO dip would be the weakest response I would try if I wanted to save this coral and other lps in my system. GL.
Great advice. Thanks, I do want to save it. I’ll pick some up today.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it wasn't just number 2? BJD kills corals fast like 24 hours maybe 48 and is typically caused by very unbalanced tank parameters although coral stress from changing one tank to another can trigger also
Do the smell test BJD has a very foul odor.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You sure it wasn't just number 2? BJD kills corals fast like 24 hours maybe 48 and is typically caused by very unbalanced tank parameters although coral stress from changing one tank to another can trigger also
Do the smell test BJD has a very foul odor.
Zoom in on photo, you’ll see a little still on the coral. And a couple of vacant skeletal holes.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree that cipro should be the way to go here. The Coral still has plenty of tissue so hopefully it can recover for you. For the cipro bath, a half hour using a small power head so that you get good contact time would be my recommendation.

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that cipro should be the way to go here. The Coral still has plenty of tissue so hopefully it can recover for you. For the cipro bath, a half hour using a small power head so that you get good contact time would be my recommendation.
To be performed in tank water?

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Cipro can't be had in the USA with out prescription. At least that's my understanding

OP
OP
Glenner’sreef

Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro can't be had in the USA with out prescription. At least that's my understanding
I’m seeing that as well as I’m online trying to purchase. Argg! We have hydrogen peroxide in our medicine cabinet. Effective or not???

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m seeing that as well as I’m online trying to purchase. Argg! We have hydrogen peroxide in our medicine cabinet. Effective or not???

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not dip it in hydrogen peroxide.

I would consider Brightwell Aquatics Lugol's Solution or Povidone-iodine (which is essentially the same thing - never dip without mixing with water I generally mix it so it looks a light tea color … this thread has a video that shows the color of the water)

Because the coral is already stressed I would find a way to lift it off the sand to keep the flesh from becoming irritated.

@steveschuerger or @VintageReefer
Might have something to add

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.3%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 123 81.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.0%
Back