Brown jelly in SPS?

  • Thread starter Thread starter krak256
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

krak256

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 23, 2019
Messages
269
Reaction score
105
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone ever encountered brown jelly in SPS? One of my colonies is having the flesh RTN in a substance that looks like brown jelly.

Is this caused by a bacterial infection? I haven’t seen bite marks or any potential pests but that could still be a possibility.

I’ve attached a video as well as a picture. Any help would be greatly appreciated. IMG_6860.jpeg
 

Attachments

  • IMG_6861.mov
    30.8 MB
Yes it is possible, my kung pau got it once when another sps grew into it and stung it. And yes, to me it looks like brown jelly in the video.

1783367252498.png


1783367284403.png
 
Yes it is possible, my kung pau got it once when another sps grew into it and stung it. And yes, to me it looks like brown jelly in the video.

1783367252498.png


1783367284403.png
Ah interesting. The section where it started turning into jelly was touching another coral. I’ve been cutting away at the spots that have RTN (can’t reach all of it because of coral growth) but it continues to spread.

How did you stop the jelly?
 
yes it is interesting both our cases caused by stings. for me, the offending sps also got brown jelly and completely died. I sucked up all the brown jelly and left it alone. But algae grew on the dead part and it had a very hard time recovering, it took many months for it to regrow over the dead part
 
I’ve had this happen to a large montipora setosa colony after it got stung by a frogspawn. Making sure to frag off all the infected tissue (and an inch or so of healthy tissue) and dipping in iodine after, saved the coral for me. I also think it’s a bacterial infection that enters through the injury caused by the sting.
 
I’ve had this happen to a large montipora setosa colony after it got stung by a frogspawn. Making sure to frag off all the infected tissue (and an inch or so of healthy tissue) and dipping in iodine after, saved the coral for me. I also think it’s a bacterial infection that enters through the injury caused by the sting.
Unfortunately I couldn't save the colony as I couldnt cut back far enough. The infection spread throughout
 

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 17 21.3%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 23 28.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 11.3%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 10 12.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 6 7.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new