Brown jelly on Duncan?

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone have any clue on how to cure this without discarding the Duncan I’ve already lost one from the jelly, and I don’t want to lose anything else, also would it actually infect other coral or just Duncan’s?

4BD0AF52-8895-4BFC-B286-E1AB98313454.jpeg

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
All euphyllia can get it and other corals have their own versions.

Sadly there's isn't much you can do. Some try dips and other cut the infected head off.

I Have never had luck saving the 1 i had that had it and it was recently from an indo torch colony and it spread too fast for me to save

Macdaddynick1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sadly there's isn't much you can do. Some try dips and other cut the infected head off.

I Have never had luck saving the 1 i had that had it and it was recently from an indo torch colony and it spread too fast for me to save
I believe to have discovered a cure to BJD, specifically on Duncans, perhaps you can try it on your euphillias in the future. Check out my post history on how to preform a dip. You have to do 3 dips at the same time, hydrogen peroxide, it takes all the brown jelly disease off coral, then you dip in iodine, then you dip in coral rx or revive. If you notice BJD coming back the next day, you have to dip again. I lost multiple Duncan’s until I said to myself, screw it, I’m either going to kill the disease or kill the coral. Luckily the Duncan still alive to this day. OPs duncan is a goner though . :/. Interesting fact, the reason my Duncan’s would get a brown jelly disease was because the tank PH would go below 7.8 at night. Ever since I started using kalkwasser to make sure ph doesn’t drop below 7.8, BJD never came back.

OP
OP
Jacksfish2020

Jacksfish2020

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

So should I remove it from the aquarium, I’ve been dipping it in iodine because “youtube” said it would work, it has been keeping the infection down but I’m not quite sure what to do because it still has three heads

MERKEY

Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I believe to have discovered a cure to BJD, specifically on Duncans, perhaps you can try it on your euphillias in the future. Check out my post history on how to preform a dip. You have to do 3 dips at the same time, hydrogen peroxide, it takes all the brown jelly disease off coral, then you dip in iodine, then you dip in coral rx or revive. If you notice BJD coming back the next day, you have to dip again. I lost multiple Duncan’s until I said to myself, screw it, I’m either going to kill the disease or kill the coral. Luckily the Duncan still alive to this day. OPs duncan is a goner though . :/. Interesting fact, the reason my Duncan’s would get a brown jelly disease was because the tank PH would go below 7.8 at night. Ever since I started using kalkwasser to make sure ph doesn’t drop below 7.8, BJD never came back.
Thats an interesting theory and its better to try if the coral is being tossed anyway, if I ever unfortunately have to deal with it again I will try this route.
So should I remove it from the aquarium, I’ve been dipping it in iodine because “youtube” said it would work, it has been keeping the infection down but I’m not quite sure what to do because it still has three heads
Perhaps try this method if you have the products on hand. If you are going to throw a coral away you might as well try to save it if you have the means ;)

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 40.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 27 20.5%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 36.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back