Brown Jelly on Goniopora! Will it spread?

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed today that my goniopora frag that i had picked up a couple of weeks ago had the brown jelly disease and it was fully covered. I was very disappointed because the goniopora had absolutely no flesh left, but as i was sucking the brown jelly off of the goniopora with a turkey baster, a lot of the brown jelly blew around the tank. Will the brown jelly infect my other lps corals?!? My entire tank is lps dominant so it would be really devastating :(

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed today that my goniopora frag that i had picked up a couple of weeks ago had the brown jelly disease and it was fully covered. I was very disappointed because the goniopora had absolutely no flesh left, but as i was sucking the brown jelly off of the goniopora with a turkey baster, a lot of the brown jelly blew around the tank. Will the brown jelly infect my other lps corals?!? My entire tank is lps dominant so it would be really devastating :(
Yes it could

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I would siphon as much as possible and test for nitrates, your Ph and check your salinity as High salinity can trigger this

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
The Goni looked very stressed for like a week before this happened. Could that have caused this?
Possibly. testing will confirm this.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Nitrates - 3ppm
Ph - 8.2
Specific Gravity - 1.026
Nitrates up a little but not enough to do it. SG is at near limit for their tolerance.
They require moderate lighting , good water flow. . . Temp range 77-79 and salinity range 1.024-1.026 and some phyto in water occasionally. Mine are like a jungle

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates up a little but not enough to do it. SG is at near limit for their tolerance.
They require moderate lighting , good water flow. . . Temp range 77-79 and salinity range 1.024-1.026 and some phyto in water occasionally. Mine are like a jungle
is there anything else I should do to stop the brown jelly from spreading to my other lps. All my other lps are really healthy, it was just the goni that wasn't doing well

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
is there anything else I should do to stop the brown jelly from spreading to my other lps. All my other lps are really healthy, it was just the goni that wasn't doing well
maintain good water flow and blow gently occasionally with a turkey baster to loosen it net it and discard. Tissue loss is fast and this type of disease is very contagious, and can spread to other corals regardless of species. metronidazole is commonly used as a treatment, and i would do it in the form of a bath/dip.

OP
OP
L

Larry101

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
maintain good water flow and blow gently occasionally with a turkey baster to loosen it net it and discard. Tissue loss is fast and this type of disease is very contagious, and can spread to other corals regardless of species. metronidazole is commonly used as a treatment, and i would do it in the form of a bath/dip.
This is really bad timing, I am going out of town for 1 week starting Monday :oops:. I won't be able to touch or see the tank for a week

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
This is really bad timing, I am going out of town for 1 week starting Monday :oops:. I won't be able to touch or see the tank for a week
Keep up the water flow- main importance

sdreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some have had success with chemiclean in treatment and prophylaxis for brown jelly. A possible in tank treatment. Doesn't list the ingredients, but may contain a low dose of erythromycin.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 140 88.1%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back