Brown jelly?

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My torch coral has been bleaching because of temperature. I have recently been nursing it back to health. I fixed the temperature issue and I have been feeding it weekly. It looked a lot better earlier today but when I came back to it after a couple of hours, I saw this. Is this brown jelly or something serious? Should I cut off this head?
image.jpg

ccole

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't touch it quite yet. Has it only looked like this for a little while? Sometimes my torches will look bad for a couple of hours. Sometimes they're pooping, but it usually doesn't take them long to extend again.

It does look like it may have recessed a bit (perhaps while it was bleaching?) I don't see any brown jelly yet though in that picture.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't touch it quite yet. Has it only looked like this for a little while? Sometimes my torches will look bad for a couple of hours. Sometimes they're pooping, but it usually doesn't take them long to extend again.

It does look like it may have recessed a bit (perhaps while it was bleaching?) I don't see any brown jelly yet though in that picture.
Yeah all of the heads were extended a little. But the bleaching made all of them retract a lot. Most all of the heads were the length of the one of the right, some a little longer, some a little shorter earlier today. The back one is the most unhealthy out of the 4

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Looks more like recession which can lead to bailout. May be too much light and water flow. Moderate light and water flow is best. You can give it VERY GENTLE bursts from a pipette (baster may be too much) to clean the area

Pipette

1635122663499.png

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When BJD hit my torches, they were gone in 24 hours with complete retraction. Yours doesn't appear like mine did so maybe give it some time. Run heavy carbon in your sump to clean bacteria out of the water.

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks more like recession which can lead to bailout. May be too much light and water flow. Moderate light and water flow is best. You can give it VERY GENTLE bursts from a pipette (baster may be too much) to clean the area

Pipette

1635122663499.png
Will give this a try

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been trying to treat this torch over the past few weeks and this head has been looking drastically worse. Is this brown jelly? what should I do? And if it is not, is it anything?
image.jpg
image.jpg

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still doesn't look like mine did when it got the jelly. You still have life in yours. If you tried the dips then maybe less light and flow awhile.

What are your current parameters? How much light and flow?

OP
OP
Ocean’s Piece

Ocean’s Piece

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still doesn't look like mine did when it got the jelly. You still have life in yours. If you tried the dips then maybe less light and flow awhile.

What are your current parameters? How much light and flow?
Current parameters are 9.0 Alk, 400 Ca, 1480 Mg, 2.5 Nitrate, .27 phosphate (I know, getting some gfo soon. This didn’t cause it to bleach but may be a reason it’s doing worse.) about 120 par for light and medium to low flow. Haven’t tried redipping but I may do it soon.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current parameters are 9.0 Alk, 400 Ca, 1480 Mg, 2.5 Nitrate, .27 phosphate (I know, getting some gfo soon. This didn’t cause it to bleach but may be a reason it’s doing worse.) about 120 par for light and medium to low flow. Haven’t tried redipping but I may do it soon.
Numbers aren't bad but need nitrate at 5 tp 10. One of my torches is half closed and I noticed some hair algae growing down inside so it needs a dip to.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 20 35.1%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 13 22.8%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 7.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 8.8%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back