Brown Jelly

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
two euphillia are slowly dying. it all started with the newest 2, died in a couple of days.

then this 2 months old, started to die 1 week ago:
IMG_20221206_075342.jpg

next to this, there is a much bigger euphillia that started to die in a head, yesterday.

i've removed the small one (in photo), i did a DIP then placed in a container with tank water. i'll redo a dip later this day, until that it will stay in the container.

anything else ? for the big one: same treatment but should i cut the diying head or no?

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't tell what the coral in the photo is... Is it even alive?
FWIW, brown jelly essential reduces a coral to goo in less than 24 hours, so I don't think that's the cause if yours are taking weeks to die.
Can you post any other photos of either coral?
Tell me about your tank - parameters, any recent changes, light, flow, etc...

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its BJD probably slow tissue necrosis. Which just means the tissue is dying slowly instead of fast. I think there is something wrong with your tank stability that is making your corals weak against the bacteria that causes it. I would look into that first. The new corals you added died first because they weren't used to your tank. The older one is dying now because it can't take it anymore.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_20221206_084109.jpg
    IMG_20221206_084109.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20221206_084129.jpg
    IMG_20221206_084129.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 29
OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think its BJD probably slow tissue necrosis. Which just means the tissue is dying slowly instead of fast. I think there is something wrong with your tank stability that is making your corals weak against the bacteria that causes it. I would look into that first. The new corals you added died first because they weren't used to your tank. The older one is dying now because it can't take it anymore.
but the older one was totally healty and fully open up to 24 hours ago

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they all wall varieties? There are several types of euphyllia/fimbriaphyllia, so can you tell us what specifically you have/had?
Also need the info about your tank, parameters, etc, for anyone to help you...

I'm sorry for your losses... frogspawn is one of my favorite corals.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ones that died almost immediatly were yaeyamaensis, the small one in photo is an ancora and the big one is a paradivisa IIRC

what is strange, to me, is the brown jelly (not as disease but as aspect) covering the small one.

i'll frag the big one, the fragged part could be kept in the tank or better to trash away?

i know i have an high amount of nutrients (0.12 po4 and 11 no3) but this shouldnt kill LPSs.

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the ones that died almost immediatly were yaeyamaensis, the small one in photo is an ancora and the big one is a paradivisa IIRC

what is strange, to me, is the brown jelly (not as disease but as aspect) covering the small one.

i'll frag the big one, the fragged part could be kept in the tank or better to trash away?

i know i have an high amount of nutrients (0.12 po4 and 11 no3) but this shouldnt kill LPSs.
I don’t think it’s brown jelly. The remaining tissue is just brown colored. This is brown jelly

And after you dip it it should all go away

It’s up to you since it’s yours lol. I would try to save it but that’s just me. If it did have brown jelly disease I would dip it in the morning and at night but if it keeps melting at some point I throw it away.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
probably cutting the head Is the best solution as the other is healty

should i DIP the remaining part?

Attachments

• IMG_20221206_095437.jpg
    IMG_20221206_095437.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 25

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rings like BJD. Euphyllia are especially susceptible to BJD. The go to now a days seems to be a full tank cipro treatment. I’ve done it once with no ill effect to my livestock.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rings like BJD. Euphyllia are especially susceptible to BJD. The go to now a days seems to be a full tank cipro treatment. I’ve done it once with no ill effect to my livestock.

so do you think mine is BJD?
can you point to which part of the images you think is BJD?

Back