Brown Jelly

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so do you think mine is BJD?
can you point to which part of the images you think is BJD?
The dead within 24/48 hours from seemingly healthy is usually a giveaway. The pic of the what looks like a wall hammer with part flesh part skeleton looks like BJD got it and the “jelly” may have gotten taken by tank flow. When I got BJD, dipping did absolutely nothing. May have helped a bit but by the next day all I had was a skeleton.

Give this a read, I think it’s a great option or maybe now a great med to have on hand.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i did a water change (20%) and started the UV (oversized, used for dinos months ago) h24, let's see if something change in better.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
all euphillias died
Sorry for your loss. BJD is a bad bad thing. Now is the time to round up some cipro to have on hand before trying euypillia again. I was gutted when I lost my torch and hammers to BJD.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Cipro mandatory or the BJD (if confirmed, i'm not sure) could go away on its own? i have UV running H24 from Yesterday and i could wait some weeks before adding more euphillia

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is Cipro mandatory or the BJD (if confirmed, i'm not sure) could go away on its own? i have UV running H24 from Yesterday and i could wait some weeks before adding more euphilli
Cipro from what I understand is the only method that can save a euphyllia from BJD. The treatments suggests turning off UV so that leads me to believe that UV was ineffective in stopping the protozoan that causes BJD.

OP
OP
I

iLMaRiO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cipro from what I understand is the only method that can save a euphyllia from BJD. The treatments suggests turning off UV so that leads me to believe that UV was ineffective in stopping the protozoan that causes BJD.
ok, but let's assume i don't have euphyllias in the tank, can I get rid of BJD without antibiotics ? or it would stay in the water forever ?

joefishtank

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think there's always a chance to get brown jelly. Healthy coral don't get it unless they get stressed or touch some infected tissue. I think :thinking-face:. I just watched two of my euphyllia fall apart but they didn't have brown jelly. Those little tentacles can stay around the tank for a while too.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 16.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 67 56.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.7%
Back