Brown/Red Stringy Algage on Sand new to saltwater need an ID

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used red slime remover at 1.5x the dose amount and even did it 48hrs later. It will go away for about a week and still come back.

LA Reef Addict

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Chemi clean will take care of that lickity split. Or you can find the true source of what's causing it. Maybe decrease light schedule and/or food source.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Chemi clean will take care of that lickity split. Or you can find the true source of what's causing it. Maybe decrease light schedule and/or food source.
Chemiclean will not touch cylindrospermum cyanobacteria
It will however kill spirulina cyanobacteria

gobylove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my new tank. I would siphon as much as possible and wait it out. I wouldn't dose anything. I would lower one of your powerheads to get more flow along the sandbed. Both of yours are at the same height. I had some success when I lowered one of my powerheads to improve the flow along the bottom of the tank.

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a similar issue with my new tank. I would siphon as much as possible and wait it out. I wouldn't dose anything. I would lower one of your powerheads to get more flow along the sandbed. Both of yours are at the same height. I had some success when I lowered one of my powerheads to improve the flow along the bottom of the tank.
H2o2 is the best solution for cylindrospermum cyanobacteria for total eradication.
Welcome to the R2R community!

skim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut lighting to like 4 hrs. and make sure you have no Sunlight hitting the tank as that stuff loves Sunshine. Wow a Helix 5000 on a 46 gal. you may be removing the good Bacteria that helps rid the Cyno.

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yea I have reduced the amount of sunlight hitting the tank and switched over to a 13k light source in the day ramping up and down from a 19k in the morning and evening and it seems to have stopped the growth or at least slowed it wayyyyyy down....im going to vac again tomorrow, seems as though it was a light issue causing it, plus not having much of a cuc in the tank right now isn't helping, its just the two clowns and 3 nessarius and 3 astrea in the whole tank, im going to pick up a scarlet cleaner shrimp tomorrow and maybe a couple more nessarius snails......

Kmel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since I have no clue how to start a post on this thing, can someone help me ID this algae

IMG_3069 (2).JPG

IMG_3112 (2).JPG

IMG_3184 (2).JPG

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would cut lighting to like 4 hrs. and make sure you have no Sunlight hitting the tank as that stuff loves Sunshine. Wow a Helix 5000 on a 46 gal. you may be removing the good Bacteria that helps rid the Cyno.
I test for my water born bacteria
The helix has some of the best control mechanisms I have seen so controlling bacteria is easy :)
I can grow cyanobacteria practically in any condition in my lab.

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I want to thank you for the help with the cyano, the purple/red mat is reducing and looks like im winning the battle with it....however now im noticing there may have been something else mixed in with it which im hoping is not what I think it is........I have some brown hair stuff growing on a couple of rocks and I now see brown/red stringy looking stuff left on the sand...im hoping its not Dino's....any suggestions?
Thanks!

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I want to thank you for the help with the cyano, the purple/red mat is reducing and looks like im winning the battle with it....however now im noticing there may have been something else mixed in with it which im hoping is not what I think it is........I have some brown hair stuff growing on a couple of rocks and I now see brown/red stringy looking stuff left on the sand...im hoping its not Dino's....any suggestions?
Thanks!
It is common to have both spirulina and cylindrospermum that I have seen many times under the microscope.
Now the brown stuff I would need to see a picture of this. Dinoflagellates present themselves in several forms depending on the species.

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is common to have both spirulina and cylindrospermum that I have seen many times under the microscope.
Now the brown stuff I would need to see a picture of this. Dinoflagellates present themselves in several forms depending on the species.
I really hope its not dino I've been reading nightmares......ill snap a few pics when I get home this afternoon......

OP
OP
quik95lt1

quik95lt1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe I see any dinos in those pictures. I do see algae forming.
thank god, I think im going to get a couple scarlet reef hermits and see if they help out, plus I kind of like the way they look.......im going to toss some empty shells in to so hopefully they don't have my nessarius snails for dinner, do you see good coralline forming? I think I do unless im mistaking it for something else?

reeferfoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@twilliard I had the wife take some pics here you go, give me good news!! lol

20160824_104938_zpsuvkdgxzl.jpg

20160824_104633_zpsrglf6b9c.jpg

20160824_104952_zpsqjkpuhy2.jpg

20160824_105104_zpsizhcsvdl.jpg

20160824_104705_zps3xpi4okf.jpg
Looks like some cyano + diatoms growing on top of hair algae. This is common. Should pass too if you reduce lighting, feeding and increase water changes + h202. Twilliard will get you all fixed up :)

twilliard

Tank pests..
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh yes I have pulled a lot of hair out researching this stuff :)
Family stairs at devices I stare into a microscope

Back