Brown slime on sunnyDs

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sunny Ds started developing brown slime on 2 of the 3 heads, had them for 3 months or more, they were in a 10 gallon tank and now are in my new 60 gallon, they've had it for what I would say 2 weeks now? Did a revive dip in them and got maybe 80% of the brown off and now it's back again. Not sure what to do. Post a pic of them currently chilling in sand bed.

20180810_170812.jpg

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my nassaruis snail haha this any better? This is maybe 2 or 3 days after dip.

20180816_183426.jpg

20180816_183414.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgive my nassaruis snail haha this any better? This is maybe 2 or 3 days after dip.

20180816_183426.jpg

20180816_183414.jpg
Well at least we know it’s not pox.

Dunno. Kinda seen some do that. Usually was from a sting or sadly just on the way out.

I lost a whole colony about 30 heads to one sting once. Yea I got rid of that coral.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we were growing colonies the zoas in low flow would experience this. I'd get brownish slime/algae covering the polyps and in time they would start to close. I'd move the colony to a bit more flow and within a week the zoas/palys would typically show signs of improvement.

John3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This seems to be fairly common anymore. There is speculation the brown stuff might be bacteria. I have had this issue a few times now and dip in hydrogen peroxide will kill it and not your zoa. Do a search on peroxide dipping instructions. It normally takes 1-2 weeks for the zoas to recover and open fully again.

On a side note I’ve only had this issue with fairly new introduced zoas. Once established and growing I have not had this issue.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When we were growing colonies the zoas in low flow would experience this. I'd get brownish slime/algae covering the polyps and in time they would start to close. I'd move the colony to a bit more flow and within a week the zoas/palys would typically show signs of improvement.
Completely agree, I just started a new frag tank and I got this buildup on some of my zoas where the flow was the slowest. I just increased the flow and added more snails so we shall see

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so update, put it in the sand in front of my power head where the flow would be strongest and I have one closed head trying its hardest to open up. So I may wait the weekend, see if they keep trying to open and dip again in revive ot peroxide to clean it off and put back.

Thank you guys for the inputs and help. These are the only ones doing that expect my rastas are closed but I'm trying to find there sweet spot still.

RealistMiami

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my sunny Ds started developing brown slime on 2 of the 3 heads, had them for 3 months or more, they were in a 10 gallon tank and now are in my new 60 gallon, they've had it for what I would say 2 weeks now? Did a revive dip in them and got maybe 80% of the brown off and now it's back again. Not sure what to do. Post a pic of them currently chilling in sand bed.

20180810_170812.jpg

I think the key word in your description is that there in your new 60 gallon. How long did you cycle the tank an what rock did you use to start ?

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar thing happening in my tank; did a dip, cut back lighting, only running all blues on my radions and I’m water blasting all my zoas to keep the algae down.

Have you checked your parameters? The second I bumped my alk and CA up as well as did a water change things are opening back up.

I’ve been pretty aggressive about getting my phosphates down to 0-5 ppb and I’m considering running carbon in a reactor to clear things up further.

Do you notice excessive algae elsewhere in the tank or just zoas?

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the key word in your description is that there in your new 60 gallon. How long did you cycle the tank an what rock did you use to start ?
It's all live rock and sand, along with bacteria in a bottle. Had put my clown fish in it the next day, I know quicker then I wanted but was put in a situation were I had to. Yes they are still alive and biting my arms anytime they enter the tank. I waited about a month and half before I added my corals.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Similar thing happening in my tank; did a dip, cut back lighting, only running all blues on my radions and I’m water blasting all my zoas to keep the algae down.

Have you checked your parameters? The second I bumped my alk and CA up as well as did a water change things are opening back up.

I’ve been pretty aggressive about getting my phosphates down to 0-5 ppb and I’m considering running carbon in a reactor to clear things up further.

Do you notice excessive algae elsewhere in the tank or just zoas?
Still trying to get set to do a water change, I think the salt water I used from my LFS to start the tank is just crap, but all my paramus are in order except maybe a little high magnesium if I remember (currently at work sorry) 1500 last time I checked. I'm currently waiting on carbon to come in, but don't have a reactor. Was gonna drop a small bag inside my filter sock to get direct contact and flow. I do have algea growing on rocks but not that, it's more of a brown hair algea. My trochus snails cleared all of that up. Then along with diatoms or another algea in my sand bed. Not cyano can say that for sure. Thankfully.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back