Brown slime on sunnyDs

Jboulerice

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Still trying to get set to do a water change, I think the salt water I used from my LFS to start the tank is just crap, but all my paramus are in order except maybe a little high magnesium if I remember (currently at work sorry) 1500 last time I checked. I'm currently waiting on carbon to come in, but don't have a reactor. Was gonna drop a small bag inside my filter sock to get direct contact and flow. I do have algea growing on rocks but not that, it's more of a brown hair algea. My trochus snails cleared all of that up. Then along with diatoms or another algea in my sand bed. Not cyano can say that for sure. Thankfully.
I just went the carbon route as well; I bought the drop in sleeve from redsea since I have a redsea 170; if it doesn’t work well there I’ll go get a mini BRS reactor and a small maxi jet to tumble the media.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just went the carbon route as well; I bought the drop in sleeve from redsea since I have a redsea 170; if it doesn’t work well there I’ll go get a mini BRS reactor and a small maxi jet to tumble the media.
I was looking at the bra dual reactor for I think 100$ with pump in cluded.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay guys, I need some help now because this is almost to 100% of my zoas.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you get it sorted out man? My zoas are starting to do this.
Yes! Your gonna laugh but water changes is what stopped it. Weekly 20% for me cured it.

Sorry post is a little late, works been hectic but I hope all is well with yours, I also forgot to mention a couple peroxide dips at low ratio with peroxide played a role to. It cleaned them up then the water changes ultimately kept it from coming back.

Thewatchmangoby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes! Your gonna laugh but water changes is what stopped it. Weekly 20% for me cured it.

Sorry post is a little late, works been hectic but I hope all is well with yours, I also forgot to mention a couple peroxide dips at low ratio with peroxide played a role to. It cleaned them up then the water changes ultimately kept it from coming back.
Glad to hear, thank you for getting back as alot of people dont and it leaves the internet in the dark. My zoas are doing better with the lights turned waaaaaay down. Lights were overkill on my tank, the zoas themselves could handle it but the algae around them were growing too much and choking the zoas. Havent seen some of colonies look so good as they do now.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glad to hear, thank you for getting back as alot of people dont and it leaves the internet in the dark. My zoas are doing better with the lights turned waaaaaay down. Lights were overkill on my tank, the zoas themselves could handle it but the algae around them were growing too much and choking the zoas. Havent seen some of colonies look so good as they do now.
So glad to hear that since it took forever for me to get back. But I can see how that plays a factor seeing as how light plays a factor and zoas really dont need a whole bunch if light to grow. Like I said water changes helped mine. But I know zoas and palys, tend to recover the most from peroxide dips. They are the only corals where I will dip them in that over coral RX from the success I've had from them. Normally I do a low ratio mix to.

OP
OP
ItouchedThebutt

ItouchedThebutt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually bought brs carbon, not the premium but put it in a baffle in my sump and it works wonders on clearing up my water.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 23 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back