Brown spot

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me what’s wrong with my coral? Last night I was removing GHA and it was fine. But today get home from work and it’s like this. TIA for the help.

IMG_2069.jpeg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone tell me what’s wrong with my coral? Last night I was removing GHA and it was fine. But today get home from work and it’s like this. TIA for the help.

IMG_2069.jpeg
To me it looks like it got stung. Is it close to some other aggressive corals? Pest like Aiptasia…

Definitely keep an eye on it.
If it keeps getting bigger it might be indicating that something is off with water quality.

OP
OP
nickm

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me it looks like it got stung. Is it close to some other aggressive corals? Pest like Aiptasia…

Definitely keep an eye on it.
If it keeps getting bigger it might be indicating that something is off with water quality.
My calcium is low so I’ve been slowly increasing dosage throughout the day. Nothing is near it besides green hair algae that I’m battling now also a clam but it is on the backside. The frags have been near each other for a few months now. I dipped it with corals coral dip tonight hopefully that helps.

IMG_2067.jpeg

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My calcium is low so I’ve been slowly increasing dosage throughout the day. Nothing is near it besides green hair algae that I’m battling now also a clam but it is on the backside. The frags have been near each other for a few months now. I dipped it with corals coral dip tonight hopefully that helps.

IMG_2067.jpeg
Has the piece grown at all or is it stagnant? If it has not that could be indication that something is off.
Also do you feed the corals? I do mean coral food, not NO3 or PO4.

Try to keep the algae away from the corals. Algae can slowly kill corals at the interface. Try to keep it as clean as possible with toothbrush.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_2067.jpeg
How low? You don't need to go slow dosing calcium. 50 or 100 ppm can be done quickly.
Can you post all your test readings? Maybe something we will find.

OP
OP
nickm

nickm

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the piece grown at all or is it stagnant? If it has not that could be indication that something is off.
Also do you feed the corals? I do mean coral food, not NO3 or PO4.

Try to keep the algae away from the corals. Algae can slowly kill corals at the interface. Try to keep it as clean as possible with toothbrush.
I dose RedSea AB+ with oyster feast, and spot feed benepets mixed with frozen
How low? You don't need to go slow dosing calcium. 50 or 100 ppm can be done quickly.
Can you post all your test readings? Maybe something we will find.
The tank is 6 months old and had corals in it since 2 months old. Po4- .14, NO3- 4.2, Ca-258. That was a day ago and I will test again tonight.

Pod_01

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Po4- .14, NO3- 4.2, Ca-258.
That Ca level is concerning and I would try to bring it up.
But, before you do, one quick question. Do you dose Alk and Ca? In general your Ca should not decrease unless there is decrease in Alk.
I would double check the Ca reading, too much Ca can be as bad as too little:
1696026131153.jpeg

Since you are feeding the coral’s nutrients should not be an issue.

I don’t use those particular products but reading through the Red Sea AB+ there is comment on low dose:
1696026832923.jpeg

From your description I don’t think you have low nutrient system.

How is the flow in the tank, lack of flow or dead spots can be a problem.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 39 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.3%
Back