Brown stringy algae

Jblunkall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone battled with this type algae? Came up after the transfer from the 75 gallon to the 180. Went from sand bed to no sand bed. Think it's just cycling? From what I can find the best remedy is continue to suck it out and raise the alkalinity?
2e99d960b1a45dbf5b9fa0afc92884c2.jpg

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only real way to tell the difference is a microscope. And there are a bunch of different Dino's. A lot of slime algae too.

reeftilldie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have exactly same stringy brown after removing 20% of zeolite total volume , it's slightly over the sand bed and rock,
not much like your and I'm not sure if its just cyano or dino but currently doing black out for 3 days to clean it up completely before its getting worse. I think you should try 3 day black out too, its nature way and it doesn't hurt anything and i know it have helped so many others reefer too.

zachxlutz

120 Gallons of FUN
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling something that appears similar to this and the conclusion that was reached was that my tank was nutrient limited. The phosphates had bottomed out to zero (hanna phosphorus ULR) due to carbon dosing with Vibrant. I stopped the carbon dosing and I've been dosing nitrates and phosphates via Stump Remover and Activate, a nitrate and phosphate source. I've been targeting around 5 ppm NO3 and 0.10 ppm PO4. Dosing the phosphate additive immediately started making a difference in the appearance of the dinos and they seem to come back less and less each day. What are your nutrient levels in the system? Could your tank by nutrient limited?

bubbaque

Follow me on Instagram @ Bubbaquecorals
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Peroxide is what killed mine also. Some people had good luck raising nutrients but raising nutrients is what brought an explosion of dinos.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it keeps going!!! Def let me know how it works out

OP
OP
Jblunkall

Jblunkall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No fish correct?

Yes I have fish. 3 tangs, 2 clowns, 2 chromis, 2 anthias, pajama cardinal, hawk fish, fire shrimp and sally light foot crab. And then a mix of corals and then calurpa and cheeto in the sump. The only effects I seen was my montis browned out but I actually think that was from the algae because they were doing it before I doses the first time.

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I have fish. 3 tangs, 2 clowns, 2 chromis, 2 anthias, pajama cardinal, hawk fish, fire shrimp and sally light foot crab. And then a mix of corals and then calurpa and cheeto in the sump. The only effects I seen was my montis browned out but I actually think that was from the algae because they were doing it before I doses the first time.
Np side effects of the fish

Back