Brown stringy algae

reefnewb70

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Our anemone clown hair has the same issue. Not sure how to fix other than clean and scoop remnants. We have tried Chemiclean, microbacter 7.

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having some brown algae also. My aquarium is nutrient low I know this because all tests say 0. I was also using seachem purguen which i just removed. I probably do too many water changes but I’ve been trying to gain control on this brown algae in my 3 month old reef.

It started on the substrate, and it is growing in rocks and glass. It’s smoky looking, had a bubble on the tip of it and is like thread having off a sweater. I can’t explain it I’ve never seen anything like it in freshwater before ( was in fresh water for 12 years).

I’m really getting annoyed because I keep sifting the sand hoping to move it off, and it keeps growing back in literally an hour it’s all there again after the same was white 1 hour before when I sifted it.

I decided to siphon it right now. Going ti add NeoNitro to the aquarium to see if this will help. I raised the tank to 82. I have SPS corals torch, frogspawn, a toadstool , Kenya tree, organ pipe and a waving hand coral I think it’s called. The only coral that has this brown algae on it is the closed Kenya tree.

It comes off the rocks easy but doesn’t cover like cyano. It literally looks like hair and threats with a. Bubble on the tip. Even on the sand, it doesn’t cover like a slime, it is depressed and grows up and looks like threads on the sand. It’s really weird!

Diatoms? Dino? Algae? Cyano. I don’t have a photo just yet because I cleaned. But, if it comes back I’ll photo it.

I’ve never seen something grow at this rate. Literally, white to brown in 1 hour. I use seachem vibrant sea and I am awaiting a response via email as to whether this has silicate in it because I only use distilled store bought water.

I’m getting very frustrated with this as the sand bed is hideous.

Ok treating like Dino right now, raised temp, 50% light, I had a UV filter which broke when water entered its light socket so screwed there now and I raised PH to 8.4 and alkalinity to 12dkh salinity 1.026 nitrate reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and I haven’t tested phosphorous as I was told for nanos it’s not important by my LFS unless corlas turn brown.

All the corlas look healthy, I spot feed with reef roids. I feed my fish 1-2 times daily. I have inverts, im very frustrated as I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.

I have a skimmer for this water box 25 peninsula, I was using purigen by seachem, i was dosing small half amounts of seachem reef plus (which i stopped now)….. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong I’ve never had this happen in freshwater. Never had cyano in freshwater, and I grew beautifully sustained green algae for me African cichlids with no sign of cyano or diatom. Saltwater is a pain in my butt but it’s so beautiful that’s why I keep going.

Please, some advice. I know I have no photos just yet, (hopefully I won’t need to) but any advice given the details would be great.

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having some brown algae also. My aquarium is nutrient low I know this because all tests say 0. I was also using seachem purguen which i just removed. I probably do too many water changes but I’ve been trying to gain control on this brown algae in my 3 month old reef.

It started on the substrate, and it is growing in rocks and glass. It’s smoky looking, had a bubble on the tip of it and is like thread having off a sweater. I can’t explain it I’ve never seen anything like it in freshwater before ( was in fresh water for 12 years).

I’m really getting annoyed because I keep sifting the sand hoping to move it off, and it keeps growing back in literally an hour it’s all there again after the same was white 1 hour before when I sifted it.

I decided to siphon it right now. Going ti add NeoNitro to the aquarium to see if this will help. I raised the tank to 82. I have SPS corals torch, frogspawn, a toadstool , Kenya tree, organ pipe and a waving hand coral I think it’s called. The only coral that has this brown algae on it is the closed Kenya tree.

It comes off the rocks easy but doesn’t cover like cyano. It literally looks like hair and threats with a. Bubble on the tip. Even on the sand, it doesn’t cover like a slime, it is depressed and grows up and looks like threads on the sand. It’s really weird!

Diatoms? Dino? Algae? Cyano. I don’t have a photo just yet because I cleaned. But, if it comes back I’ll photo it.

I’ve never seen something grow at this rate. Literally, white to brown in 1 hour. I use seachem vibrant sea and I am awaiting a response via email as to whether this has silicate in it because I only use distilled store bought water.

Ok treating like Dino right now, raised temp, 50% light, I had a UV filter which broke when water entered its light socket so screwed there now and I raised PH to 8.4 and alkalinity to 12dkh salinity 1.026 nitrate reading 0 ammonia 0 nitrite 0 and I haven’t tested phosphorous as I was told for nanos it’s not important by my LFS unless corlas turn brown.

All the corlas look healthy, I spot feed with reef roids. I feed my fish 1-2 times daily. I have inverts, im very frustrated as I don’t understand what I’m doing wrong.

I have a skimmer for this water box 25 peninsula, I was using purigen by seachem, i was dosing small half amounts of seachem reef plus (which i stopped now)….. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong I’ve never had this happen in freshwater. Never had cyano in freshwater, and I grew beautifully sustained green algae for me African cichlids with no sign of cyano or diatom. Saltwater is a pain in my butt but it’s so beautiful that’s why I keep going.

Please, some advice. I know I have no photos just yet, (hopefully I won’t need to) but any advice given the details would be great.

Attachments

• IMG_9129.jpeg
    IMG_9129.jpeg
    163 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_9130.jpeg
    IMG_9130.jpeg
    179.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9131.jpeg
    IMG_9131.jpeg
    161.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_9132.jpeg
    IMG_9132.jpeg
    200.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_9133.jpeg
    IMG_9133.jpeg
    187.4 KB · Views: 20

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_9134.jpeg
    IMG_9134.jpeg
    143.1 KB · Views: 17

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Attachments

• IMG_9135.jpeg
    IMG_9135.jpeg
    222.3 KB · Views: 21

alexanderthefishlover

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You and see the bubble on the tip here
After watching this I believe it is Dino and perhaps the easier kind to rid of given it’s growing on my glass. I’ve reduced lighting PAR and time to 6 hours, raised temp to 82 and will begin dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos when they arrive in two days. I bought a test kit to test for phos also. I also added another wave maker to make the water more turbulent to see if this aids in the control of it and its growth and raised PH.

I read about dosing H2O2? I have SPS corals and and a skunk cleaner shrimp I love and snails and hermits and I’m worried that this could turn out badly? Anyone have experience?

I also read about adding silicate? I will try dosing NeoNitro and NeoPhos first.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back