Brown stringy algae

wilecyote007

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jblunk..can you tell me what your phosphate was at before peroxide? Im doing water changes and mine is slowly going away but before i run gfo i just want to know what you were rocking beforehand.

OP
OP
Jblunkall

Jblunkall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jblunk..can you tell me what your phosphate was at before peroxide? Im doing water changes and mine is slowly going away but before i run gfo i just want to know what you were rocking beforehand.

Not sure. Didn't test before hand. Didn't think I needed to because the algae would have not given me a correct reading anyway.

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have similar algae driving me crazy in my nuvo 20. my po4 is .04ish with hannah ultra low and nitrate were at 0. did dosing just peroxide get rid of it? I'm currently using rowaphos. this algae has been relentless and my lips aren't looking to good due to the low nutrients but I'm at a loss at what to do to get rid of the brown algae any advice would be awesome. thanks

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so i have similar algae driving me crazy in my nuvo 20. my po4 is .04ish with hannah ultra low and nitrate were at 0. did dosing just peroxide get rid of it? I'm currently using rowaphos. this algae has been relentless and my lips aren't looking to good due to the low nutrients but I'm at a loss at what to do to get rid of the brown algae any advice would be awesome. thanks
I did the peroxide dosing and also some Mexican turbo snails bam all gone in 2 weeks.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also built an algae scrubber too but everything was pretty much gone before the algae scrubber even got started. The main ones that did majority of the work were the turbos.

Jrainey312

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done 2 doses so far it seems to be working. I'll have to go to the lfs this weekend and get a turbo. I had one but it died. I was dosing nopox at that time and I think that also killed my cleaner shrimp. I was trying to change to much and now I'm paying for it the tank is on the fritz lol

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Goin give the H2O2 a try. Got a similar looking algae. The problem started to be noticeable when I started dosing PO4. Fingers crossed

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Going to give the H2O2 a try. Fingers crossed

ncaldwell

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go slow. I h2o2 dosed and had no issues, snails, shrimp, fish, sps and lps all fine. Zoanthids close up but they'll be fine

Ert

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could someone help ID this. Not sure whether it's dino or diatoms
IMG_7779.jpg

SRT80

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just regular Hydrogen peroxide? Really weird since I moved all my rock and corals from my 20 gal. to a 29 gal. I now have this brown stringy algae too? I used half the water from the 20 gal. and fresh SW for the rest. Also new sand.

How should I dose? I think there might be around 25 gal. of actual water.

Thanks.

MikeyTN

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just regular Hydrogen peroxide? Really weird since I moved all my rock and corals from my 20 gal. to a 29 gal. I now have this brown stringy algae too? I used half the water from the 20 gal. and fresh SW for the rest. Also new sand.

How should I dose? I think there might be around 25 gal. of actual water.

Thanks.

Yes I dosed straight peroxide. But be careful if you have any LPS as they doesn't not like it at all. It will kill your LPS if your not careful.

Thle009

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling something that appears similar to this and the conclusion that was reached was that my tank was nutrient limited. The phosphates had bottomed out to zero (hanna phosphorus ULR) due to carbon dosing with Vibrant. I stopped the carbon dosing and I've been dosing nitrates and phosphates via Stump Remover and Activate, a nitrate and phosphate source. I've been targeting around 5 ppm NO3 and 0.10 ppm PO4. Dosing the phosphate additive immediately started making a difference in the appearance of the dinos and they seem to come back less and less each day. What are your nutrient levels in the system? Could your tank by nutrient limited?
Just wondering if your algae problem went away after dosing. Any what happened during the time you were dialing in. I think my system is encountering the same issue and would like to give it a try. Also, where did by your phosphate product? Thank you.

TimothyJ91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is dosing hydrogen Peroxide safe for invertebrates? Snails, crabs, and starfish?

Back