brown stuff from byssal opening?

  • Thread starter Thread starter sdcosta
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

sdcosta

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 12, 2017
Messages
187
Reaction score
150
What state or country do you live in
New Jersey
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So yesterday and today I noticed that my clam was not fully opening, but when I feed the tank he opens up all the way. I have it sitting on the sand and I noticed his foot looked odd. I picked it up, the foot is fine but there is a brown substance coming out of the byssal opening?
20170920_201202.jpg

Had it for a little over 3 months. Not sure on the type but its been doing great. I picked it up to look at it closely and did not notice anything on it but when the lights are out ill see if any critters are bothering it.

20170920_200810.jpg


View attachment 581337
 
I dont see anything odd. Looks to be typical byssal threads mixed with sand, little detritus. Keep an eye out for pyramids.
 
Looks like a French Poly Maxima, I've never ever had any luck with them and I've noticed that other clams health have depleted in home aquaria since they became available.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 26 18.7%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 33.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.4%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new