Brown Stuff on 2 of my Duncans heads

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,
Theres 2 of my Duncans heads that have these brown patches, they are actually different shades of brown if that helps/confuses things further. Is this brown Jelly disease, or something else? Ive had the duncan for about 2 weeks. Params are 1.025 Salinty, 25.5c/78F , calcium ~415, Alk ~9.8, ammonia /nitrite 0, nitrates ~5. Any other details needed let me know,

Thanks guys!

20200826_173457.jpg

Bfragale

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest look like they are not fully open either. Your prams look ok but what’s your PH and How your po4? How old is your tank? What are you running for lighting?

I personally never had the brown jelly issue, so I’m not sure what it looks like, but to me it looks unhappy for some reason?

Are other corals doing well?

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rest look like they are not fully open either. Your prams look ok but what’s your PH and How your po4? How old is your tank? What are you running for lighting?

I personally never had the brown jelly issue, so I’m not sure what it looks like, but to me it looks unhappy for some reason?

Are other corals doing well?

This photo is later in the afternoon, my duncan tends to close up late in the afternoon just before lights go off. Ph tested at 8.2, i dont have a p04 test kit at the moment, its next on my list to buy, tank is pretty fresh, around 3 months, lights are Aquaone mairglow, they came with the tank. Other corals are good, gsp is spreading, and my torch looks to be growing a new head.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brown jelly looks like it’s name. It will appear that the tissue is slimy and rotting away. If you see that it’s bad because it can spread to other coral and will kill the infected ones. Fragging healthy tissue and an iodine dip can save a colony. My candy cane had to have that done and I still have a healthy chunk 6 months later.

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
brown jelly looks like it’s name. It will appear that the tissue is slimy and rotting away. If you see that it’s bad because it can spread to other coral and will kill the infected ones. Fragging healthy tissue and an iodine dip can save a colony. My candy cane had to have that done and I still have a healthy chunk 6 months later.

Thanks for the reply, thats a shame, it seems to only have affected 2 heads, can i just chop them off, and hope for the best?

If it helps the heads that are okay are all eating mysis still.

LegendaryCG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the reply, thats a shame, it seems to only have affected 2 heads, can i just chop them off, and hope for the best?

If it helps the heads that are okay are all eating mysis still.
Yea you can. Fortunately Duncan’s grow real fast and will likely recover quick.

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea you can. Fortunately Duncan’s grow real fast and will likely recover quick.
Thanks for the help everyone, was hoping to avoid fragging it, as I've never done that, will have to start learning i suppose.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful removing coral from tank. Don’t want to dislodge any of the jelly. Turn pumps off if needed. It’s contagious. Good luck.

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Careful removing coral from tank. Don’t want to dislodge any of the jelly. Turn pumps off if needed. It’s contagious. Good luck.

Good tip, i need to go buy a rotary tool of some sort tomorrow after work to cut it, i took it out and gave it an iodine dip, and hit the brown stuff with some hydrogen peroxide, tried siphoning it off, but it wouldnt come off at all.

Aqua Man

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it didn’t come off easily, than maybe it’s not brown jelly. I’ve only encountered brown jelly once, also on a Duncan. Turkey Baster removed it easily.
A54C081E-A5E4-402C-8F19-C9938A9A0A5B.jpeg

above is what mine looked like. Iodine helped some but it still spread and I lost this little guy.

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Put a ziplock over the coral before removing it. As above, do not let the brown stuff float off. It will kill anything it lands on.

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put a ziplock over the coral before removing it. As above, do not let the brown stuff float off. It will kill anything it lands on.

I took it out already without any precautions besides watching carefully, none of it fell of, i even tried siphoning it and sucking it with a pippette, wouldn't come off sadly. Weird that it seems different from other people's experience with it

OP
OP
F

fluked

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Follow up:
I kept giving it a iodine dip (Seachem reef dip) and trying to remove the brown whatever every few days for a few weeks and was feeding each open head mysis whenever possible, I never ended up cutting off any heads (too scared). Coral is still alive now and growing. So good result.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back