Brown stuff on used reactors. What is this?

  • Thread starter Thread starter JCOLE
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Joined
Mar 12, 2018
Messages
4,218
Reaction score
10,592
Location
Charlotte, NC
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone. I recently picked up a tank and some accessories from a guy a couple weeks ago. Over the weekend I filled the sump and all the reactors, etc with vinegar/water and ran it for the weekend. Took it out and put everything in the dishwasher with vinegar for a good scrubbing. I took everything out this evening to final rinse and clean. While cleaning the inside of the BRS reactors I noticed an orangish brown on the paper towels. I dont see anything on the reactors themselves though.

Does anyone know what this is and do you think I would be safe using them?
d514122a9c7251c4bc6c4b4abbe71e04.jpg
3a26d0812156be946a606219c246d3ab.jpg
b925243a777821b7aab781a0aef920b4.jpg
 
Looks like gfo dust. When I clean mine from time to time, I get the same thing from the gfo one.
I was thinking the same. One says GFO Phosphate so I imagine it was used for that. I was getting it from both. Do you think it will be fine to use them?
 
I was thinking the same. One says GFO Phosphate so I imagine it was used for that. I was getting it from both. Do you think it will be fine to use them?
You may want to try running some vinegar and then rodi water through them and see if they come clean. I know mine come clean easy and a good rinse and scrub (I use a bottle brush) and no more residue.

As for being safe, I cannot say, I do not know what it actually is. But if not was me, I would try to get them to where when wiped, the towel is clean.
 
You may want to try running some vinegar and then rodi water through them and see if they come clean. I know mine come clean easy and a good rinse and scrub (I use a bottle brush) and no more residue.

As for being safe, I cannot say, I do not know what it actually is. But if not was me, I would try to get them to where when wiped, the towel is clean.
Ok. So now I started cleaning his RODI filter and it came out a lot in the canisters. His filter was running off the basement filter in his house. I wonder if his water was just nasty??
7d86d0ac1f9f3b2f111bb5d9b54ce021.jpg
077bcf0a17807de750969f22aa62e9a6.jpg
 
Ok. So now I started cleaning his RODI filter and it came out a lot in the canisters. His filter was running off the basement filter in his house. I wonder if his water was just nasty??
7d86d0ac1f9f3b2f111bb5d9b54ce021.jpg
077bcf0a17807de750969f22aa62e9a6.jpg
It could be sediment of some sort for sure, or if the stuff was put up for a while with water in it, could just be some nasty slime mixed with dust.

Clean, clean, clean for sure. No need to put anything nasty in your tank if you can help it.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT CHANGED THE MOST IN A FISH AS IT MATURED IN YOUR REEF?

  • Size or body shape

    Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Color or pattern

    Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Personality or confidence

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Aggression or territorial behavior

    Votes: 6 28.6%
  • Feeding habits

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Social behavior or bonding

    Votes: 5 23.8%
  • It really hasn’t changed much

    Votes: 1 4.8%
  • Something else (Tell us what I didn't think of)

    Votes: 1 4.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new